First project car? Nova, Falcon, other? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 11:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I vote for the Chrysler A-body. The same basic car was built from '67-'76, and the upgrades of the later years like the brakes fit on the early years. The V8-equipped cars can support EFI 318/5.2 and 360/5.9 engines through 2003 in the vans and Dakota, and parts are plentiful.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Hotrod n00b

Last photo:

OK, now I've got two Pontiacs on my radar. Aside from that black one in Stockton, this one just popped up and is much closer to me:

1965 Pontiac Lemans

Both are about $6000. This one is a two owner, recently restored. I'm going to go look at it this Saturday. He said the rear window seal is leaking moisture (not streams of water) and as a result the rear parcel tray has some rust. Is this a red flag? I usually wouldn't consider this a deal breaker.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:10 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

A lot of car of that era rust around the lip that holds the rear window in. I don't think it's a deal breaker, but it might be a way to negotiate the price down a bit.

Go to Collector Car Market Review Pricing and check out the suggested value. Value is really what you can get it for and how bad you want it, collector car values aren't like newer car blue book pricing. Pricing in guides is partially based on auction and other reportable sales results, but there is some estimating as well.

From what I can see and the description that is somewhere between a #2 and #3 car (IMHO). It's also a Tempest -- there were no LeMans four doors, at least not in 65. That would put it in the $4000-$5000 range, not $6000. Top value for a #2 (remember, most show cars you see are #2 -- a #1 car is a top pro resto trailered to shows, or a museum quality resto) is $5500-$5600.

Would $6K be too much to pay for it? Not if you really like/want it. Print the value and condition guide pages out and take them with you when you look at it though. $5K would be a more fair price, but it really depends on how much you like it and what your other options are. On the plus side it looks ready to roll. If you plan on using it as a daily driver that 326 is going to get old fast, but it will put a smile on your face -- until you hit the gas pumps. You're probably looking at 18 mpg on a good day of interstate travel, keeping it no more than 65 mph (MAYBE 70... but no more!), an average of 15-16 mpg. If more fun is better than more mileage that won't matter...

I'd pay $6K for that one before I'd go for a cheap car that needs a lot of work.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Hotrod n00b

Last photo:

According to Old Ride there was a Lemans 4dr Sedan:
1965 PONTIAC TEMPEST Information Specifications Resources Pictures
I guess I'll know soon enough when I see the VIN.

Thanks for the link to that market pricing website, very useful!

As for the horrible mileage, I'm already used to that with my Crown Vic. I appreciate the continued input as I search and search. Looking at old cars is completely foreign to me so this is helping me be more patient.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:21 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

That Crown Vic should get better mileage than the Tempest/LeMans would. The CV should get around 23 mpg highway/16 city, and average around 19 mpg (according to Fuel Economy).

I was going by the price guide when stating there wasn't a LeMans four door. I just looked at a few other sources and yes, there should be a LeMans four door model for 65. It's the top trim for the Tempest body (Pontiac GM A-body). That might add another $300-500 to the pricing, but no where near the LeMans two door models.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 AM

I would choose 64-65 Falcon. You may also look for project cars for sale here, when I was searching for I car I came across this website and there is a big choice here
Old 12-04-2012, 02:10 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanlyf View Post
I would choose 64-65 Falcon.
I'm just curious- do you have any connection w/them?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 AM

cobalt327, no I don't.

Tags
pony cars, project recommendations

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.