First Rod Build - T Bucket , here we go - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 08:53 AM
noobie

Last journal entry: Boy am I slow!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

First Rod Build - T Bucket , here we go

This as you have seen is my first build on a Rod. I hope its ok to step by step my build here.

Bought a Motor , Chevy 305 87 vintage. Complete less carb. I have a Edelbrock dual plane for it already. I will pull the pan and take a look once I get it home. Gonna leave stock internals. I have also found a set of fenderwell headers for it. Lake pipes , I think maybe!!!

Does anyone know if Predator Carbs id still in business? They were the variable venturi set ups from back in the 80's? Hmmmmmmm???????

I believe I have also found not 1 but 2 Powerglide 2 spd auto's !!!

I plan on running a AMC 20HD rear axle that I already have.
Here is where I need a little help how do I determine what I need for rear gears with say a 30" and 33" tire. I am thinking like 4.10. Or should it be deeper?
So far invested:
Engine $100.00
intake $0.00

Gonna start on frame build in a couple weeks (after the wedding , yes She says I can build this) Well as soon as I get a frame plan set. Thanks See ya soon!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Gears

With a Glide in that car some 3.23 should be just fine..Actually in my build I am not concerned at this time with gears ans such just focusing on getting the chassis done and having a driveable runnable car..

Once that is done then I will concern myself with the engine build and gearing..

I think "Predators" are still built but I do not have a clue as to where to get one off hand..

OMT
Old 06-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

T's are extremely light. A girl in town is running a 23 steel body, with a steel bed in the back with a stock 305 and a GM 10-bolt rear and that thing just flys. I wouldnt worry about gearing.

Mike
Old 06-24-2005, 07:48 AM

Last photo:

I have a predator that needs an idle circuit added. PM me if your interested or email me at snod83@gmail.com
Old 06-27-2005, 01:44 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

The AMC 20 is an unusual choice of axles! Since this is a T I would guess it came from a CJ Jeep. The only problem you'll run into is gear availability. I think 4.88 is as deep as they go. you can find gears easily, there just isn't a wide choice of ratios. Any Jeep parts place can get gears cheap enough though. Do you have one-piece or two piece axles? Two piece have a bit nut on the hub end -- can't miss it. Loosen that nut and tighten to 250-300 lb/ft if you have the two piece. Not retorquing that nut after 20 years is the primary cause for a spun hub. Of course you shouldn't have a problem -- the T is so lite in the rear it should spin the tires easily. Still, if you have the two piece axles get the nuts retorqued -- cheap insurance. You'd have to repalce the hub (but not the axle -- the hub is a slightly softer metal) if you do spin one and the hubs are getting hard to find. It's easier to replace the whole axle shaft from a junkyard axle right now. Better yet to get it properly torqued and not worrk about it though!
Old 06-27-2005, 08:15 PM
noobie

Last photo:

M20 is a highly underated axle. If you have never had one apart they are , for a "light" axle huge as compared to a Dana 44. The pinion shaft is almost double that of a 44. I have beat up a few M20's. Not alot of people like them so there are alot around. A one piece axle set is cheap. There were a few variations of the axle... narrow track , wide track , HD , and a couple other odd balls! There are enough gear choices I think I can get where I need to be. Keep you fingers crossed...................................
Old 06-28-2005, 07:32 PM
noobie

Last photo:

WOooooo HOooooo

Just scored! 2x3x3/16 tubing for $1.25 / foot! Apparently we (the co. I work for) jst bought out all the steel from a big company that was going under. That is about 1/3 the regular cost.

QUESTION ????
Can anyone give me a reason not to use rectangle tubing for the front x-member? Why is it always round ?

Corvair steering box on the way - FREE - friend used my trailer he had a spare!!

Just bought a Predator carb , be here next week!

Things are coming right along so far!
Old 06-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Round tubing is used for front crossmember mainly for looks. Since the whole front end is so exposed, the round crossmember ties it all up and leaves the frame with a nice, round smooth finish. I'll be using rectangular tubing on mine and my grill sheel will probably be right in front of it, plus I'll put some model A frame horns on to hide the whole package. Cant afford a suicide front end.

Mike
Old 06-29-2005, 05:44 AM

Last photo:

He's right, its just for looks, but if you ask me its there to make it harder to build! I am using a rectangle front, but my axle will be directly in front of the frame so it won't be noticable. I am going extremely low with mine. I'd say build it how you want, but if you were planning on purchasing a pre-made spring perch for the front, do round because they are all made for round tubing.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:23 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Don't get me wrong Gr8lite -- I'm an AMC fanatic! I'm well aware that the AMC 20 is nearly as strong as a Ford 9" with that 8-7/8" ring gear. The diff is still used in the military Hummer, front and rear! The weak points are the two piece axles (easier on the production line though) and the relatively light axle tubes. One piece axles from Moser are ~$300 a set, and the tubes can be trussed easy enough. I've seen 4x4 guys weld angle on the sides of the tubes -- like this: <O>. Of course you won't have a tube twist problem in that light T! You can easily use the two piece axles too, just get the nuts torqued per my previous post. There are guys in AMXs running 10s and 11s with the two piece axles. Your T will be much lighter and less stressful on the axles. Torque the nuts and save the dough for things you need sooner, save the axles for last. That's what I'd do, anyway.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:42 PM
noobie

Last photo:

What we use is we start with a M20HD from a full size Wagoneer. They have both heavier tubes and 1 piece axles from the factory. I have 2 or 3 hanging around right now. Btw you can buy 1 piece axles sets for alot less than $300 they just aren't Moser. I think Moser axles are overrated , I have seen them break just as easy as budget 1 piece. I have alot of M20 axles from early narrow track to the HD's. If you ever need parts hollar out!
thanks!
Gr8lite

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.