Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - First Spray gun?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have no idea what made me think of wax and tar remover but, I'm glad I did and not knowing what's inside it...I really can't recommend it...the wax and grease removers used for painting cars is designed for that, pre-cleaning for painting cars. For now, wash the new fender with soap and water and then start sanding...we will need to get some proper pre-cleaner before painting. I don't want you to go through a huge expense...do you know of any body shop near by that if you walked up to them with an empty Windex spray bottle, they might fill it half way for a few dollars? If nothing else SPI sells wax and Grease remover for $27.65 a gallon...but a gallon is a lot of product...I just wish I had my premonition earlier, it could have been ordered with the primer and clear.

I'm sorry I didn't notice it sooner, but, glad I noticed it now.

When it comes to solvent born base coat, when looking at any manufacturer's top of the line product, they are all pretty much equal...a few differences in the way they smell, one might be a little easier to apply depending on the color but, over all very similar. Out of the majors, PPG, Dupont, Sikkens and BASF...PPG's Deltron is probably the most cost effective, they have variant chips, color match is usually close to the chip color (color match in metallic's like silver is often more the painter than it is the code)...but not to worry, we are going to get that all sorted out. If you have a PPG jobber (paint store) close by, that's great...if not, when you chose any brand, make sure that they have variant chips that they can compare to the actual color on your car...choose that code and the rest will be up to you and I.

Before you go to check out the code for your your color...I will give you a list of things to look for and look at and what to do when picking the right chip and code for your car.

I am not trying to confuse you..it's happening all by itself...LOL...it will all make sense in a couple of days. Now do you understand why I said early on that I don't want to give you information overload?...LOL

Ray