First Spray gun? - Page 12 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If that isn't motivation "aykhan 90" I don't know what is...what is your name?

You are going to be spraying a clear from the same company that Kelly got the clear for this car. Now, this is a goal, I realize this is your first attempt so watch that video, watch how Kelly's movements are smooth and fluid. Notice the distance from the panel and the consistency of the distance. Watch how one coat overlaps the next. Check the speed that Kelly moves at....These are all valuable techniques that you can see first hand.

I'm going to be telling all about triggering the gun and a few other pointers.

Thanks again Kelly.

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Sorry I forgot to add this one in the mix. It gives a little better view of the car, not just the finish

Ray, I hope that in some way this will motivate or help someone. I wish I could get the other videos to upload, but since I can't if the OP will PM me an e-mail address, I will forward them to him.

Kelly
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (10-03-2013), aykhan90 (10-03-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Sounds great Kelly...I haven't seen him a round tonight...he deserves a night off....I'm sure he'll be around tomorrow. Motivation? It makes me want of paint something...LOL

Just one problem with car Kelly...don't forget the Impala emblem...LOL

Ray
Old 10-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Sounds great Kelly...I haven't seen him a round tonight...he deserves a night off....I'm sure he'll be around tomorrow. Motivation? It makes me want of paint something...LOL

Just one problem with car Kelly...don't forget the Impala emblem...LOL

Ray

I put it on right after I took those pictures I almost did forget it though
Thanks for the kind words

Kelly
Old 10-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Only the truth Kelly...only the truth....I just remembered when I was looking at the car, one time after a long night a customer came to pick up his car and I had to chase him down with with a Ford Oval for his grill...It was a 20 mile drive...LOL

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
carolinacustoms (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 07:41 AM

Last photo:

I just read through all the messages. I'm sorry usually I get email notifications if someone replies but this time I didn't.

I will go through all the videos once I get home. Thank you Kelly and Ray. The videos will help me a lot. I will see if I have any questions after watching them.

Oh and my name is Asfand.

Btw the Impala looks great!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Not a problem Asfand, not getting Email notification does happen from time to time...and thanks for the putting a name to the post...I knew you where 23 years old but it's great to have a first name.

Kelly's video will help you a lot and I thank Kelly again...I only had to ask once and he was gracious enough to post the video immediately...it's that true spirit of just wanting to give back from guys like Kelly that make this sight so great.

You will have questions Asfand...I know you will.

Ray
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

Yeah I should have put the name on earlier but just never popped up in my mind. Better late then never lol

Kelly's help is greatly appreciated. I am in contact with him through email and he has already sent me a video of him spray on the base coat.

I will go over these videos multiple times as you suggested to get better acquainted with the techniques. One thing I noticed, you can tell me if that is so or I am just seeing things lol, that Kelly's sweeps were faster when applying base coat as compared to applying clear coat. Is the speed of your hand movement dependent on the type of material being applied?

Also I noticed Kelly had an air filter on his gun attached in the following order:
Gun>Air Filter>Pressure Guage

Would I also need the air filter? Also is it okay to have the configuration as the following:
Gun>Guage>Air Gilter

Does one configuration have an advantage over the other?

Last question: Would I need some sort of a water separator since I have a small compressor and it may be over worked?

Also thank you for asking Kelly for the videos.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

First of all, your more than welcome...and as I said, Kelly immediately responded...we both want your repair to turn out well for you.

I haven't seen the base coat application video, he has tried to send it to me but, because I've had Email issues lately, I haven't received it. But, yes, the type or thickness (viscosity) of the material will determine speed, excellent observation...I'm proud of you.

As far as the filter, regulator, gun sequence goes...it should be..filter, regulator, gun. The reason for this is a filter may be a little restrictive, so if you have the filter before the regulator you will get a more accurate pressure reading at the gun...again, very observant.

A water separator or water trap would be ideal, especially in your circumstances with a small compressor, now does the owner of the compressor have a this on the compressor?

I will be sending you a PM.

All the best Asfand

Ray
Old 10-03-2013, 11:42 AM

Last photo:

The compressor does not have a water separator on it. I also need to purchase the air filter and quick plug for the compressor so I was thinking while I am doing that might as well get a water separator. Would you be able to suggest a relatively cheap place to purchase one?

Also I could try to give you the link to download the video Kelly sent the same as I send you pictures, maybe that would work for you.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks Asfand...but Kelly just tried again...I got the attachment but couldn't download the video.

I'll look into water traps for you...problem is that the ones that work real well, cost a lot of money...the other ones are mostly made for air tools that if a bit of water gets in the tool, it's not as big a deal as paint...let me see what I can come up with.

Ray
Old 10-03-2013, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

That would be great.

I had a question about the hose length. For my gun it is specified at 25' max. I am sure my hose is within 25' but is there change in performance based on the hose length (within the 225' range).
Old 10-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

The longer the air hose, the more restrictive the air pressure. The inside diameter of your hose is probably 3/8th inch (most rubber hose air lines are), that's why in a body shop, when they plumb the solid air lines on the wall, they use a pipe with a larger inside diameter....even with some shops, they use a rubber air line that 1/2 inch inside diameter to help with air delivery in the paint booth.

I'm sure you will be fine.

Ray
Old 10-03-2013, 03:42 PM

Last photo:

Great, good information to know. Thanks

Last edited by aykhan90; 10-03-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:10 PM

Welcome Aboard
Hi, I am a new member also, I had the same question about two weeks ago. I finally bought a Husky 60 gallon compressor from Home Depot for $400.00. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a Gravity Feed Vaper HVLP Mod #19113 for $30.00 and borrower a primer spray gun from a co worker. With advice from Ray, I have comply primed and top coated inside cab. I am doing each door and fender one at a time and both are working fine. I learn from the hot rod forum a lot by posting my questions. Good luck on your project...... Ed

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.