First Spray gun? - Page 13 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks Ed, always happy to help.

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

Great to know your project worked out. Also good that you bought a compressor. That will always come in handy.

Ray has been extremely helpful. I could safely say without his advice I would have not done half of the things and spent my money on a repair that was not worth it. Kelly has also taken his time out and helped a lot. Great to see people who are willing to take their time to help other people!
The Following User Says Thank You to aykhan90 For This Useful Post:
65 f-100 restore (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

It's actually very simple guys, it's pay back. I remember all the people that spent countless hours helping me when I first got into the trade...I'm glad I get a turn as well. I also need to add that it's a lot easier with guys like Kelly, (Carolina Customs) Mike (Deadbodyman), Brian (Martinsr) Randy (New Interiors) John Long (John Long, I thought I'd give you brackets too John...seeing your so great at building your own...LOL) and so many others on site that are giving and always have excellent information to add.

Thank You for the kind words guys and the appreciation, I appreciate the opportunity and enjoy helping where I can.

Ray
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
65 f-100 restore (10-03-2013), carolinacustoms (10-04-2013), John long (10-03-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 05:26 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
First of all, your more than welcome...and as I said, Kelly immediately responded...we both want your repair to turn out well for you.

I haven't seen the base coat application video, he has tried to send it to me but, because I've had Email issues lately, I haven't received it. But, yes, the type or thickness (viscosity) of the material will determine speed, excellent observation...I'm proud of you.

As far as the filter, regulator, gun sequence goes...it should be..filter, regulator, gun. The reason for this is a filter may be a little restrictive, so if you have the filter before the regulator you will get a more accurate pressure reading at the gun...again, very observant.

A water separator or water trap would be ideal, especially in your circumstances with a small compressor, now does the owner of the compressor have a this on the compressor?

I will be sending you a PM.

All the best Asfand

Ray

HAHA see Ray, I told you that it would be a video of "what not to do"

I honestly had to add the regulator to that gun because the digital readout took a dump and stopped reading. So instead of dropping a small fortune or offering my first born to Sata for a new readout, I just stuck a regulator on it and never even thought about it being pre-filter. Guess I need to changed that around in a few.
If you think it was or would be helpful I can start taking videos of when I paint (well I plan to anyway because I noticed a few things I want to try to work on while watching the videos). Problem is I don't paint very often unless a collision job comes in or the once or twice a year I spray one of the restorations..... I do hope to spray the mustang soon though if all goes well.Just have to figure out how to get the video loaded because I've had a times with these. Anyway, thanks for noticing my bad habits Asfand

Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
aykhan90 (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

To be honest with you Kelly, I'm impressed with Asfand....I didn't notice it either until he pointed it out....very impressed and how perceptive that young man is...isn't it amazing, if people in all walks of life would more often take time to listen, instead of putting their opinions first, the learning process would be a lot quicker. That's something I felt I knew, but every time it's reinforced the fact that I have a lot of learning to do is also reinforced.

Kelly, there are so many people that would benefit from watching your painting video's and I think it would be a great idea. I know what you mean about painting and how often you paint...I was thinking about that last night. I remember being in trouble with a boss if I only painted 6 cars a day...depending on the size of the job, the shop goal was 10...(to be honest though, if I had a good day and painted more, he was quick to point that out as well), now, I paint 2, maybe 3 a year....but it is like riding a bicycle, by the time the gun is set up, it feels like I'm ready to shoot all 10 again...LOL

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
aykhan90 (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Asfand, I've been trying to find an air filtering system that is reasonably priced, shipping wouldn't kill you, a brand name, and actually has a bit of value....It is difficult...the ideal filter/dryer for an air line to remove moisture and contaminants are fairly expensive, they are the desiccant type and as I mentioned...expensive for what your looking at doing.

I did however come up with a filter that is reasonably priced, a brand name, shipping is free and it should have some value in your application. I remembered a thread from a while ago that had the website listed ao I checked it out again.

Here is the site.

https://shop.ingersollrandproducts.com/cart.aspx

Hope this helps.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
aykhan90 (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the good words guys.

Ray I clicked on the site and it shows the cart being empty. I just searched the site for filters and I am assuming you are referring to the ARO filters that seem to be mostly under $20. There are a lot though with a slight variance in model #s. Is there a specific one to get or any one of those is fine?

And thanks for looking up the air filters for me.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Not a problem Asfand...I just wish I had better information on reasonably priced filters...If I'm correct, the inside of the filter's are pretty much the same, the difference is the in and out line opening size which would need to be adapted to what size line you and type of fitting you have. It may be a good idea to call Ingersoll Rand, (I believe they have a toll free number) and I'm sure they can lead you to the right filter...and the bonus is, shipping is free. Ingersoll Rand is a fairly respected name in the industry, these filters would help...they are however, not the do all end all of filters for painting.

The desiccant type dryer/filter would be ideal but, unless your planning on doing more painting...it would be over priced for what your doing.

Hope this helps Asfand.

Ray
Old 10-04-2013, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

Okay I'll keep that in mind. This helps a lot.

I can't seem to find the toll free number on the site. Though they have an email listed. Maybe I'll try that.

I am not sure what size fittings I'll need. I am going to check the compressor and the gun and then head to the store for the fittings. After I have that information I will shoot them an email.

I'm assuming I should postpone painting the panels till I get the filters.
Would I just need one filter or more?
Old 10-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

One is good 2 is better, give them a call or send an email, let them know what fittings and size hose you have and I'm sure they can hook you up.

As far as painting, it would be more comfortable to have an inline filter in place.

Ray
Old 10-04-2013, 05:25 PM

Last photo:

Yes I think I'll just postpone the painting till I get the filters.

Btw I am just a little confused about all the correct fittings and the order to put everything together. I made a little schematic diagram. I was wondering if you could take a look at it and let me know what you think. The red things indicate the stuff I already have. The things in black I would need to buy. M - is for male and F - is for female. If my terminology is incorrect or the schematic is not clear or wrong please let me know. Thanks

Here is the link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3sqr6rgq3...0SCHEMATIC.pdf
Old 10-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Very close Asfand. The ideal situation would be to have the two filter's about 6 to 8 feet off the compressor, if they could be about a foot apart that would be great, then the air hose coming out of the last filter, then the ball filter, regulator and last the spray gun. The filters that I recommended would be too heavy to have on your gun as pictured.

Any type of pipe, copper, PVC pipe would be fine between the compressor and the first filter and between the second filter....PVC would work cheaply and I'm sure they even have PVC fittings that you could use between the filter's and the compressor at Home Depot.

Hope that makes sense.

Ray
Old 10-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Also, the little filters like I have on my gun in the video are cheap insurance. They are a few dollars each and most if not all jobbers should have them. Just be sure to put it on correctly, gun, regulator, filter

Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
John long (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

[QUOTE=carolinacustoms;1811786]Also, the little filters like I have on my gun in the video are cheap insurance. They are a few dollars each and most if not all jobbers should have them. Just be sure to put it on correctly, gun, regulator, filter

Kelly[\Quote]

LOL...Kelly...LOL

Ray
Old 10-04-2013, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

Okay great. This weekend my objective will be to get all the components needed for the spray gun set up.

Tomorrow I go to get the paint. Hopefully that goes good.

And maybe Sunday I will try to set up my gun just with lacquer thinner to get a feel for it.

I will keep that in mind in Kelly lol

And thanks. Once I have all the components and the paint I will update

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.