First stage of rebuild, chassis first? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2005, 03:15 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

First stage of rebuild, chassis first?

Hay guys, this is my first post so be gentle.
By the way I did do a search first.
I have a 1928 Chevy roadster and am at the first stages of the Hod Rod project.
Basically the car has been striped, chassis blasted and under coated and most of the woodwork removed from the body panels.
I am having some difficulty deciding weather to do the chassis first or the body.
Some say the golden rule is the chassis first but the car is yet to be steeled out.
My concern is that if the chassis is done first then the panels and other bodywork may not fit again.
On the other hand some of the body mounting is bound to be different due to pedal positions steering column etc the list goes on.
The chassis is to be constructed professionally and the bodywork is to be done by a good friend who is a panel-beater spray painter. His view is body first. I am yet to discuss this aspect with the chassis guy. I thought I would get your feed back first.
Any comment appreciated, what is the golden rule and what experiences in this matter.
Cheers.
Oz GMHR = (General Motors Hot Rod)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2005, 07:08 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Assuming chassis off

I am assuming the chassis is to come out and be reworked..I definately would get the chassis done first..Get the chassis into what we call rolling condition..then set the body back down and go from there..

Then it is once off with the body and once on with it..i would expect that things will move about a bit and require some readjustment to get everything to fit right..

Now that is just the way I would go about it..BTW you can just use an existing Engine Tranny combo to help set the motor mounts correctly..Concern yourself with engine details when you get there frpm here..

OMT
Old 06-22-2005, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Chassis is completely striped apart from the standard cross members.
I thought this might be the case to do the chassis first, I had heard and seen it on other sites that itís the golden rule for Hod Rod building.
Thanks for confirming that for me.
When the Chassis is back I will post some photos.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The chassis is the back bone of your car. Everything builds off the chassis and it needs to be right. You DON'T make the chassis fit the body, you make the body fit the chassis, especially if the body is wood braced. Always do the chassis first. Once the chassis is a roller you can move on to the body and have the steel installed and the body massaged so it fits correctly on a good square chassis. Doing the chassis first IS the golden rule of rodding.

Good luck.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:04 AM

Last photo:

Thanks again the more I think about it the more I realise its common sense.
This project is very important to me, as the car has been in my family since the early forties. Most of my mother side of the family learnt to drive in the old girl. It was one of my grandfathers first cars. So there is a sentimental value as well.
RIP good old Pop .
I have built up other cars over the years but this if you havent guessed is my first Rod.
From my research I discovered that the chassis is too important to stuff up so its being professionally done. In Oz we have fairly strict rules governing what is required to be engineered so the car can be registered.
Plans are for independent front end-running air bags.
Rack and pinion steering
Boxed chassis
Four link air bag 9-inch rear running LSD.
350 Chev with T350 trannie.
Painted at this stage subject to change, silver metallic with black guards, running boards rear guards, and black soft-top.
American racing wheels either salt flat/tri bar specials or torque thrusters.
Here is a photo when she was in the shed as i found her.
Notice the date on the Photo 1997 has it been that long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chev f.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	5508  

Last edited by Oz GMHR; 06-23-2005 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:22 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i think its logical that way most of the time. but if you can move the body without it being onthe chassis then maybe you can do them both at the same time. when i did my truck i had a whole different chasis from a different donor truck, so i drove my truck stock the whole time i was building the new chassis. i kinda didn't have any other choice. but it was awesome to be able to do all the chassis stuff without a body on it. then a quick body (cab) swap and wire it, steering, etc. even had a different engine in it before i did the cab swap. if you have somewhere like your friends he can keep your body and it's on a couple of dollys you or he can move, there isn't anything wrong with doing both, but you might have to modify the body to fit in a few places, like in the floor. i think time and money would dictate alot of what you work on.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

to begine with...

I would box the frame...do the suspension..rear end and front uprgrades as needed... the brakes and then the body to fit the frame and then the engine and trans to fit the body to frame fit. You may have to cut the firewall to get a good fit/look and give the radiator to radiator shell fit a proper look.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.