Hot Rod Forum banner

First Start Up Problems

3K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  BBCMudbogger 
#1 ·
I just rebuilt my 350 and dropped it in and everything is ready to go except it wont start, getting spark I poured fuel down the top I can even see the carb spraying it as I manually prime it.

I have a High Torque starter and for some reason it isnt turning the engine over very fast but I see sometimes it backfires out of the carb so I dont think its a problem.

The battery is low and I was doing it through jumper cables and it made no difference it went the same speed.

What am I missing any suggestions?

#28 ·
oldbogie said:
Chevy has a little surprise. When you put it together with the timing marks on the cam and crank gears facing each other, the engine is set with number 6 in the firing position. If you leave it there and drop the distributor in timed to number 1 firing, it's 180 degrees out.

There plenty of other reasons but let's start with whether that is a situation or not for your set up.

Bogie
Most timing sets come with a little piece of paper in them that clues you into that little surprise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.