Hot Rod Forum banner

First time car hauling

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  bentwings 
#1 ·
Ok folks, finally purchased an enclosed car hauler for the 31 Model A coupe...
Any tricks I should know about loading the car up? Strapping it down?
The trailer is 8.5X16, with 4 corner D-rings in the floor.... Not sure yet if I will able to get my fat *ss out of the car once its inside!
There is a side door, but on passenger side....
Thanks

#2 ·
car vs trailer

you'll find out fast how to load it.. hopefully u don't mess the car up.. tie'n down the front/rear in a "X" pattern. wrap a towel on the front axle to keep strap from messing up paint/chrome before u tighten it. and u don't need to tight'n down so hard that u try to lenghten the frame. doing the frame will allow the body to bounce but doing a X will keep frame from moving anywhere

#3 ·
2 ways to tie down. you can tie to the frame and use the suspension to keep slack to a minimum because you pre load the springs when tightening the straps/chains
you can attach the chains to the frame with "T" hooks or "R" hooks in slots in the frame or use a railroad car tie down strap wrapped around the frame and a grab hook onto the strap

The second way is to tie directly to the diff and front axle/control arms or to chock the tires with chock wedges and or net around the tires. You can see the difference,one traps the tires and allows the car to move on the suspension,the other preloads the suspension and allows less movement overall but maintainsa "weight" on the springs.
either is acceptable

advantages depends on the tie down points on your car.You may want to protect paint as delewarebill stated. 4 points is nice,but the rail companies mostly just chock 2 wheels on new cars. Use certified transport straps especially if you just use 2.
If you use chains,the ratcheting boomers are easier to adjust.If you use cam over boomers then you should safety wire them locked when closed

chocks can be had with a ratchet and tire net system

#4 ·
I bought 4 ratchet straps that have "J" hooks on the ends, figured I'd get 4 axle straps with D rings, and wrap those around the axles, hook up ratchet straps to those?
Anyone haul a model A know if you can exit the car once inside the trailer?

#6 ·
you might want to find a used winch with a (cable-op) remote if getting out of the car is a concern for you. Can you slide across the seat and get your legs out of the footwell, around the shifter etc to crawl out the passenger side. I have seen people back the car into the trailer on a couple occasions - not sure if I like that.

Trailer have good brakes?
Truck have good brakes?

If you've never pulled a trailer that big before; find someone who has and take them on a ridealong. Put some weight in the trailer and practice your sight lines, cornering, braking and backing. This is VERY important

#7 ·
I guess I wont know if I need a winch until I actually try exiting the car while in the trailer.....was hoping someone on this forum may have a Model A and same circumstance to share....
In the mean time, no problem with brakes, (brand new trailer), and truck is perfect---'14 RAM, as far as experience hauling trailers, that's no issue either....been hauling 32' 5th wheel for years, and TT's before that.
All good input...thanks!

#10 ·
I load with a winch. Don't even think of driving it into the trailer. It's extremely dangerous. More than a few people have been seriously injured doing this.

I have a guide built into the ramp. Then I use my " fat man" laser level to center the car. I center the lazier in the trailer then just tape a gas receipt to the windshield over its center Mark. A 3000 pound winch should do the job. My Willys weighs 2800 and it's no sweat. For a couple years I did this nearly everyday in the summer as I stored the car in the trailer. I use the winch line plus a single tow strap on the front. Crossed ratchet tie downs in the rear. The shock do take a beating in the trailer if you travel a lot.

Hope you have a 3/4 or better truck. You really should use load levelers better known as sway bar hitch adders. Never ever pass a semi going down hill. Be very carefull passing when it is windy. Be sure you have a strong enough jack to change a trailer tire. Carry at least a 5 pound fire extinguisher in the truck. Flares and triangles should be there too. Make sure your brake controller is adjusted before you travel. Don't carry gas in the trailer. Don't speed....take your time and ride the right lane.

#11 ·
I load with a winch. Don't even think of driving it into the trailer. It's extremely dangerous. More than a few people have been seriously injured doing this.

Hope you have a 3/4 or better truck. You really should use load levelers better known as sway bar hitch adders. Never ever pass a semi going down hill. Be very carefull passing when it is windy. Be sure you have a strong enough jack to change a trailer tire. Carry at least a 5 pound fire extinguisher in the truck. Flares and triangles should be there too. Make sure your brake controller is adjusted before you travel. Don't carry gas in the trailer. Don't speed....take your time and ride the right lane.
[/QUOTE]I load with a winch. Don't even think of driving it into the trailer. It's extremely dangerous. More than a few people have been seriously injured doing this.
[/QUOTE]

This is funny because we used to drive it in the trailer every time before someone found a cheap winch. That was also with tricky button clutches.

[/QUOTE] Never ever pass a semi going down hill. Be very carefull passing when it is windy.[/QUOTE]

We are racers at heart, we try to pass everything windy or not.

[/QUOTE] Be sure you have a strong enough jack to change a trailer tire.[/QUOTE]

We are racers are heart and couldn't afford trailer jacks or spares. The race car got tires instead.

[/QUOTE] Carry at least a 5 pound fire extinguisher in the truck.[/QUOTE]

The race care had a Halon system...Does that count?

[/QUOTE] Make sure your brake controller is adjusted before you travel.[/QUOTE]

Who needs brakes? they just slow you down!

[/QUOTE]Don't speed....take your time and ride the right lane.[/QUOTE]

Ummmm...We are racers.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.