First time crankshaft replacment - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 11:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

First time crankshaft replacment

Hello,

My name is Terry. I have a 78 Corvette I am restoring. I accidentally put a floor jack on my harmonic balancer for just a stroke and bent my crankshaft on my 78 Vette. I know WAY stupid thing to do. I found out as soon as I started up the engine and heard a funny sound. I wonder if you might be able to help me to determine what replacement crankshaft to get to put in my 78 Corvette. It's an L82 350. I looked in online catalogs and found listings with the specs for a 350 crank described in stroke distance like 3.480 in. or 3.750 Stroke, for a Chevy 350.
My question is this; whats the difference between a 3.480 in. and a 3.750 Stroke? (Piston travel?) And what are my options and where can I find which crankshaft will fit?

Terry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 11:20 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
The 3.480 is the stock stroke, the 3.750 (400ci crank/stroke) is for stroking the 350ci to 383ci.
Rich
Old 03-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Hello Terry, for improving yours and other's education a bit, I'll expand on this subject. Small Block Chevy motors were built with 3 different crankshaft journal sizes through their production run. Refer to the following (which I copied from the Mortec site). From 1955 up through 1967, the Gen I small journal sizes were used. 1968-up small blocks up through the 350 size motor used the medium journals. When the 400 small block was introduced, it used the large journal size for its entire production run. Your crankshaft would be the medium journal size, with a stroke of 3.48".

These crankshafts can be had in either cast or forged configuration. Cast is cheaper to buy and will perform admirably in a street/strip type motor where the motor is run at limited rpm's. Forged is more money and generally used in a dedicated competition-type motor, although there are fellows who build street motors who insist on using a forged crank.

The reciprocating assembly (crankshaft, rods and pistons) in your motor is balanced internally. There are other small block Chevy motors, like the 400, which are balanced externally with the use of eccentric weights on the harmonic damper/balancer and the automatic transmission flexplate/standard transmission flywheel. Also, your cylinder block uses a 2-piece type rear main bearing seal. Later small blocks used a 1-piece rear seal arrangement to help prevent oil leaks at the rear of the motor.

Here's an example of a replacement crankshaft manufactured by Scat that would work well for you.....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCA-910442/

Gen.I, "Small Journal"
265...Mains-2.30"-Rods-2.00"
283...Mains-2.30"-Rods-2.00"
302...Mains-2.30"-Rods-2.00"
327...Mains-2.30"-Rods-2.00"

Gen.I, "Medium Journal", includes "Vortec" 305 and 350 thru '98
262...Mains-2.45"-Rods-2.10"
267...Mains-2.45"-Rods-2.10"
302...Mains-2.45"-Rods-2.10"
305...Mains-2.45"-Rods-2.10"
307...Mains-2.45"-Rods-2.10"
327...Mains-2.45"-Rods-2.10"
350...Mains-2.45"-Rods-2.10"

Gen.I, "Large Journal"
400...Mains-2.65"-rods-2.10"
Old 03-03-2010, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Guys!!

Thanks for the quick response. Man that was fast. So if I wanted to change my 350 to a 383 all I need to do is change the crankshaft? Not that I plan on it, but what about the rest of the internals? And the heads? Is there a kit that includes pistons, rods the crankshaft and bearings and higher compression heads?
Old 03-03-2010, 02:37 PM

Last photo:

Hi,
There are stroker kits, crank, rods, pistons, block needs to be clearance checked for the crank & ground accordantly, the cam
clearance needs to be checked also, & bored to make it 383ci
Heads you'll want a set that will complement the rest of the build along with the cam, if you click on the search button at the top of the page & type 383 stroker you'll get a lot of info on this subject.
Rich
Old 03-03-2010, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Rich, for general educational purpose I'll do that. I mainly just wanted to be sure and get the right crankshaft to replace the stock 3.480 that I messed up. And while I'm at it replace the piston rod bearings and main bearings and engine mounts while I have the engine out of the car. I will also clean up and restore the engine compartment. Do you know if it's neccessary to remove the radiator for clearance to remove the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard stewart 3rd
Hi,
There are stroker kits, crank, rods, pistons, block needs to be clearance checked for the crank & ground accordantly, the cam
clearance needs to be checked also, & bored to make it 383ci
Heads you'll want a set that will complement the rest of the build along with the cam, if you click on the search button at the top of the page & type 383 stroker you'll get a lot of info on this subject.
Rich
Old 03-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by torg57
Do you know if it's neccessary to remove the radiator for clearance to remove the engine?
You could probably get it out with the radiator in place, but you'll have to remove the shroud, fan and fan clutch anyway. It's only a matter of 4 more bolts to take the radiator out. What if the motor swings on the cable/chain and the water pump pulley takes a chunk out of the radiator while you're pulling the motor???? Ask me why I ask!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 03:57 PM

Last photo:

Hi,
The last corvette I changed engines in was a 67, SB out BB in the other one was a 68 BB out & it was wrecked, the one I have now is an 88, I removed the rad on the 67,& the 68, the one I have now looks as if it needs to be removed, but for your's I don't know, I would probably remove it & have it flow tested just because of Murphy's law.
Good luck,
Rich
PS You might try at corvette forms
Old 03-03-2010, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

What if the motor swings on the cable/chain and the water pump pulley takes a chunk out of the radiator while you're pulling the motor???? Ask me why I ask!!! [/QUOTE]

You are so right, why did I even ask. This is the first time I pull an engine. The most I've ever done was re-ring the pistons last year with the engine in the car. I will wind up removing everything I can get to while the engine is out and refurbishing or replacing it anyway.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:39 PM

Last photo:

the one I have now is an 88,

Thanks Rich. What a coincidence, I have an 88 too. A burgundy with the 4+3 manual shift in it.

Terry
Old 03-03-2010, 04:57 PM

Last photo:

Hi,
I'm looking to have mine painted, my sister
picked a color some kind of green, I've asked other
people how it (color) looked, told it's very nice I personally
have no idea I'm color blind, also mine is for the lazy people
700R4.
Rich
Old 03-06-2010, 02:28 PM

Last photo:

engine separation

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
You could probably get it out with the radiator in place, but you'll have to remove the shroud, fan and fan clutch anyway. It's only a matter of 4 more bolts to take the radiator out. What if the motor swings on the cable/chain and the water pump pulley takes a chunk out of the radiator while you're pulling the motor???? Ask me why I ask!!!

I have everything removed from the front of my engine and ready for extraction. I have an engine hoist and rigging and an engine stand. Can you direct me to instructions to show me how to remove the engine but not the transmission?
Old 03-06-2010, 05:05 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by torg57
I have everything removed from the front of my engine and ready for extraction. I have an engine hoist and rigging and an engine stand. Can you direct me to instructions to show me how to remove the engine but not the transmission?
This response come late- but are you absolutely SURE the crankshaft is actually bent?

I can see how the damper could have been damaged- but to bend the crank by a one-hit w/the floor jack?

I'm doubting the hell out of it, personally. One stroke of a floor jack (unless you use a NASCAR-type jack) would barely compress the rubber of the damper- let alone well and truly bend the crank snout.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
This response come late- but are you absolutely SURE the crankshaft is actually bent?

I can see how the damper could have been damaged- but to bend the crank by a one-hit w/the floor jack?

I'm doubting the hell out of it, personally. One stroke of a floor jack (unless you use a NASCAR-type jack) would barely compress the rubber of the damper- let alone well and truly bend the crank snout.

X2.......I was just wondering??!! Cranks bend THAT ez?!
6sally6
Old 03-06-2010, 07:41 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sally6
X2.......I was just wondering??!! Cranks bend THAT ez?!
6sally6
Darned sure don't in MY experience.

Shameful as I am to admit this, but I've jacked an entire SBC engine up off it's mounts- by the damper- long enough to wedge wood blocks to hold it up to remove the pan (pan was cast Al- I didn't want to crack IT lol).

Much younger, much more "hurried" than I am nowadays, but I did do it, just the same. :

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.