First Time To Drag strip - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 09:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

First Time To Drag strip

I'm planing my first trip to the drags, Milan Dragway in Milan Michigan. I was wondering if anybody had any tips for me.

I also have one specific question. I have read that lowering your tire pressure will give you more traction by increasing your contact patch, but how much should I lower it? I know I should test to figure out what works best, but where should I start? I was thinking 5psi under the recommendation would be best. I have BF Goodrich Radial T/As by the way which suggest 35psi.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

What kind of car? Output of engine?
I don't know how happy you will be with the traction/performance of those tires.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:47 PM
"Don't need no V/8"-grandpaw

learn the lites

Try to get use to the lites,leave on the last yellow, find how car launchs. You may red lite,part of learning.Some cars run better if not spun too tight[over toqure peak].My 409 ran better when shifted at 5200 rpm.Most races are won at the line. good luck
Old 04-20-2007, 04:05 PM

Last journal entry: car is painted
Last photo:

Don't do a big burn out. Go around the water box and just scuff the tires when the starter gives you the signal. Lowering the air pressure in radials doesn't do a whole lot. You can try down to abuot 25psi.

Don't get too nervous. Walk out to the starting line and get familiar with where everything is, like the starting beams. Don't worry about reaction time at first. Look out for the other car when you are getting off the track. And most of all, have fun.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

Your very first pass should be

JUST LIKE YOU DO WHEN YOU PULL AWAY FROM THE RED LIGHT!!!

You aint gonna be a Bob Glidden or Warren Johnson the first night. Just go and make a few runs, have some fun and most importantly,

DO NOT TAKE ADVICE FROM ANY ONE NOT ACTUALLY RUNNING A CAR. Unless you are certain he is the mechanic on one that is running. TOO much poor advice and old wives tales flow.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:23 AM

It's a 79 Camaro with a 350sbc not making a whole lot of power, maybe 300.

Thanks for all the tips guys.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

If you're bracket racing, resist the urge to "blow the doors off" a slower car that leaves much earlier than you. the idea is to be the first to cross the finish line ... about a fender length ahead of the other guy ... with less chance of "breaking out". (getting there earlier than your dial-in time.)

Yup ... been there, done that.

Get to the track as early as you can, and make as many time trial passes as you can. You'll learn that consistency is the key, and the importance of setting an accurate dial-in.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the tip 66, not bracket racing just yet, but I'm sure I'll try that in the future. For now its just a test and tune, but I don't want to go in there with no clue about how things are ran.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:40 PM

Walk up and watch people stage a few times befre you go. Especially note where the staging boxes are. It's kinda a lot to remember because you're so nervous the first time. Drive around the water box, spin the tires a little to scuff them off (no need for a huge burnout on those tires), then roll slowly up to the staging box. You'll see the first set of yellow lights flicker on. Wait for your opponent to light up his first set. (This is called courtesy staging). Then inch forward about 3 inches and you'll see the second set of yellows flick on. You are now fully staged. Your opponent will fully stage, then the tree man will activate the tree. Don't worry about cutting a good light your first time out, just wait till you see green, and leave easy. As you make more runs, start to leave harder and harder till you find where you hook the hardest. Good times are made in the first 60 feet; it's all about the launch. Most importantly, relaxe and have fun. Trust me, you will be nervous your first time! Good luck!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:51 AM
It'll go, or it'll blow...

Last photo:

Take a note of which side the turn-off(s) at the end of the strip are located on (left or right.) Take a note of how far from the finish line the turn-off(s) are located.

If you cross the finish line first- be aware of where the other car is on the track, so you don't cut in front of them when exiting the track.

have fun

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.