First time makeing new seat covers. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 05:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hey Dan i got the feet in today. Can you look and make sure i got the right ones. I got a few extra, top stitch set. These Recaro seats were a PITA to get apart. They pull on the leather from every direction. Very tight and hard to get apart. Working at dealerships for years Ive done many seat covers. But never have done anything as hard as these Recaro seats. I don't believe I'll have room for 1/2 foam. Or any foam. There that tight. Only thing they have on the back of the leather. Is some kind of cloth. Can you tell me what kind of cloth it is please. I know Ive been asking a lot. Just don't want to wear out my welcome. Just assuming that i am ..... Thanks Tim
Oh i ask them about the leather. They told me some are brahma bulls and have the hump, they cut that area out. Sounds like bull huh Giving me a break on two more. Let yeah know how that turns out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	feet1.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	36404   Click image for larger version

Name:	recaro1.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	36405   Click image for larger version

Name:	recaro2.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	36406  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

The first three feet are a set of top stitch feet of different widths, one set looks like a double welt foot, but it's hard to tell. The other two black ones are single right feet which you can use to sew the plastic pieces back on the seat cover. I'm not sure what the silver one is, it could be a presser foot, but I'm not sure.

The fabric looks like the scrim backing on sew foam. As far as the leather goes, that sounds like bull spit (substitute an "H" for the "P") to me....I've never seen an upholstery hide like that. Voids in the hide generally mean it's a lower quality hide.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Dan, do you know of any good books that will teach me how to use the different feet and stitches. That's about the only part where I'm not feeling real comfortable. Making my patterns basic sewing isn't a problem. I'd like to learn the proper names of stitches and what foot i would need for different seams. As far as the leather. I think they had one scarred up bad and pond it off on me. Because i told them this was just a hobby of mine. I compared my hide to whats on the Recaro seats. It looks the same to me. I'm not experience so i could be wrong. I would think for what the seats cost, they would have nice leather. Any suggestions on where to buy ?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The use of different feet on your machine is mainly common sense. You use a welt foot if you're sewing welts, and a presser foot if you're sewing regular straight seams. You use the top stitch feet when you're top stitching, and the single right feet when you need to avoid an obstruction to the left of the needle that a regular foot would hit. I really know of no book that would help you, it's just experience and repetition.
There really are no different stitches, they are all the same straight stitches. Some are bigger than others or are placed differently, but they are all still straight stitches. If you know how to top stitch, you know how to make a French seam.
The only places I buy leather from only sell to businesses, so that wouldn't help you, but I suggest you learn more about leather and what makes one hide good quality and another one poor quality. There are huge differences, and you should know what they are the next time you buy. I suggest you look at this link from Spinneybeck: CLICK HERE Spinneybeck sells fabulous leather, but it's really expensive. Also Google "leather" and look at the Wikipedia entry for it.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 02-19-2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Dan, That's what i was thinking just wasn't sure. Common sense always helps. So far i finished all of my door inserts. They came out killer. Was hard to do and i was tired of door inserts by the time i finished the last one. Now i have all of my leather. I bought two more hides. One is a heavy grain and thick. Using that for Dash, arm rest, console cover. Thought I'd do arm rest first. Just to give me some time on new machine. I did gear it down. That's cool, its armature proof now. Received all of my foam, 1/4 and 1/2 also some 3/8 i bought for the rear deck panel. New stuff is pretty pink with gray junk on the back. Feels kind hard for foam. Any way i have one question before i start on arm rest. This could be normal, just not sure. Oh i did get some #22 leather needles and I'm using 92 thread. When i sew, the stitch on top " needle side" looks like its sewing a little side ways. The bottom looks straight, really nice . Is that the way it should be. Or do i have something out of adjustment. Other then that the stitch looks good. Its tight and even inside of the material. But that side ways stitch is bugging me. My new hides looks awesome. One is real smooth and the grainy one is going to look sick. Its like motorcycle seat stuff. I'll get some pics once i do my arm rest. Just two piece with french stitch down the middle and stapled on. Getting close and happy as could be right now .
Old 02-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You need to loosen the tension both on the top thread and at the bobbin for the lower thread until the top thread straightens out. I see this on my own machines when I sew thicker fabrics. It's not a big deal unless the stitching shows, then it's a very big deal.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:32 AM

Last photo:

Have one more question. On my arm rest. Stock its a very thin vinyl. With french seam down the middle. If i fold this leather and make a french seam it'll stick out to far and wont look flat. Can i just seam it, then cut off as much as i can. Just put a stitch down each side ? Will that be strong enough to hold. Or should i just do a french seam and make it look the best i can. Here's a couple of pics. One is front door insert, they were hard to do, two of arm rest. So far i haven't wasted any leather. I'm glade because i believe I'm just going to have enough of blue. Did make a piece just to see how it looks. One I made is just a seam with stitch down each side. Thanks for your time. Tim Having a good time with this. Its been an experience. when i get to the seats i believe is when the fun will start. Cant wait.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front doors 11.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	36536   Click image for larger version

Name:	arm rest 11.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	36537   Click image for larger version

Name:	arm rest 22.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	36538  
Old 02-25-2009, 08:37 AM

Last photo:

I guess we posted same time. Thanks, I'll loosen it up some. I did have 138 on bobbin. Then when i started with thick leather and changed thread. It took me about an hour just to get it to look that good. I'll work on it some more. Thanks Dan
Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Yes, you can trim it back to the stitch line (lines) if you want. On an armrest you could sew a French seam without any backing, or just top stitch it so it shows on the side.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 AM

Nice job... can't wait to tackle my seat covers...
Old 02-26-2009, 09:32 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Dan, Buds. Finished my arm rest. Not real happy, but they will pass. Had gazillion little tiny stapes in them. So i bought a electric stapler and some staples. Tried to shoot one in and it bounce off and hit me in my arm. So i thought maybe i hit a bad spot. Not, it didn't even have enough power to make a staple stick much less go in. So i had to buy a small compressor and an air stapler. Got it all ready, shot one in and it cracked my arm rest. Well i learned a lot today. One is, you need air if your going to staple. Second is, Leather hides a lot of crap. Its like paint. Very user friendly. It will stretch a mile if you need it to and it hides crap really good. Here's a pic of my first ever sewing job, on a car with leather. Bad day in the sew room. Both arm rest are done. I just used some very small screws and glue and i have a new Craftsman compressor and stapler. That i don't need. Dan i stayed with french stitch so it would look stock. Top stitch was a very good idea tho. Thanks Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	arm rest 33.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	36566   Click image for larger version

Name:	arm rest 44.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	36567  
Old 03-01-2009, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

Trying to get a little practice in before I start my seats. So I decided to cover one of the trunk panels. Made my own patterns. Used 1/4 inch allowance. At first I was happy and it fit, all was looking good. Then I tried to lay stitches on each side of seam. As you can see some how I got off a little in one spot. But its where you can see it. Cant have that so I'm starting over. I wasted some leather. Not much, but I'm not real happy. Also I wasted about 4 hours of my time. How much allowance should I use for a top stitch with thin leather.? I'm thinking a top stitch would be easier. Corners are tight. This piece was suppose to be panted black. Maybe I should of stayed with painting it. Thanks Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trunk panel 11.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	36631   Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk panel 22.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	36632   Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk 33.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	36633   Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk panel 33.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	36634  
Old 03-01-2009, 02:48 PM

Last photo:

Hey Thanks anyway. I believe I've got it figure out and this will be easier. Top stitch is the way to go with this piece...
Old 03-05-2009, 06:31 PM

Last photo:

Been busy with some other stuff. But I did get a chance to all most finish my trunk panel. Just need to glue 1/4 inch foam down and then leather. Came out looking good "for my first upholster job" I probably wont try and make my own patterns any more though. Took my forever to make this small piece. I think I'm ready to start on my seats. Leather on trunk panel is the same stuff I bought for my seats. But I've been thinking I might just use the leather that I put on my arm rest, dash, console lid, or should I ? Its a real thick full grain leather. Like what you would use on motorcycle seats. But I love the way it looks. Has the same grain as the vinyl on my stock seats. It matches perfect. Would it be harder to sew ? Is their any problems I might run into because of the thickness. If not then that's what I'd like to do. I've worked with it and so far I like it and the hide I have is killer looking. Have a job to finish, hopefully by this weekend and then I can start on my car again. Did order some K glue as Dan recommended and a spray gun. Because I have a compressor now to spray with. Guess this compressor will be real handy after all. Here's a couple of pics. Its just clamped down with a piece of 1/4 inch foam. So it should look better once its finished. Thanks for any advise. Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trunk panel 44.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	36736   Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk panel 55.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	36737  
Old 03-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

No, it won't be any harder to sew, but make sure you are using a smooth bottomed presser foot and are very careful crossing places that are the thickest, like crossing seams, or you can scuff the leather.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.