First time makeing new seat covers. - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 01:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks Dan, I checked and all of my feet except for two are smooth on the bottom. So I'll use the thick stuff. I'm ready to do my headliner and have one question. Can I just glue Alcantara on top of my stock headliner ? Its like new. Just don't have any 1/16 inch foam. If not then I'll need to order foam tomorrow. Should have my K-glue this week. Here's a pic of my headliner with Alcantara laid on top of it and one of the embroidery work. Came out nice, just took longer then I was told. I was told a couple of days at most and I'd be able to pick it up. It took two weeks. Pic doesn't do much for it. In person it really looks killer. Very happy with it. Thanks for all your help Dan. I really do appreciate it.... Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	head liner 11.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	36778   Click image for larger version

Name:	head liner 22.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	36779  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

If the headliner you are going over is totally solid, you can glue over the top of it. The problem is knowing if everything is completely solid, which is impossible to know. I think that the weight of the Alcantra could pull everything down and then you'll be doing it all over in a couple years. You can throw the dice and take your chances, or strip the headliner first. There's really no way to know until you do it ?!?!

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

Thank you sir, I'll order some foam. No need to take a chance at this point. To much time and money involved. Took one seat apart. "Rear top", looks like they put the back together and then the front. Then sewed them together. So I'm going to do the same. I did noticed that the seams were anywhere from 5/16 to 3/8. Not very good at straight lines. Nether am i, but i think i can do a little better if i take my time. I'll get a pic when I'm done with my H.L. and a few of my first seat in progress. Tim
Old 03-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Remember, those seat covers were sewed together by someone in a factory working on piecework who got paid more for sewing faster, not more accurately. A skilled craftsman could take his time to do the job right, and their seams would be more uniform. Standard seam allowances for seat covers are 3/8". I like to use 1/2" seam allowances because it's easier to add 1" to a pattern than 3/4".

Old 03-09-2009, 11:33 AM

Last photo:

After i trace it out on cardboard. I should add 1/8 of an inch all the way around. To make it a total of 1/2 allowance. Then sew all of it 1/2 inch center line. Whats the best way to do that ? I'm not sure I'm following you. Thanks Tim............Also can you tell me where i can find 1/16 foam for my headliner. Ive looked all over and cant seem to find any, or should i use 1/8 ?

Last edited by Wantabe; 03-09-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Trace it out and add 1/8" all the way around. That will give you 1/2" extra all the way around for a seam allowance, or 1" total bigger side to side and front to back. Then just sew all your seams 1/2" in.

I would use 1/8" foam for the headliner, 1/16" would be pretty fragile if you could even find it.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

Dan i don't know what i was thinking. I ordered some 1/8 foam. Got headliner cleaned off and ready. I'm ready to make patterns. Cant find cardboard that I'm happy with. Might be a dumb question, but where do you get your cardboard from ? I'm buying more then i need of everything. My son is in the Navy. I'd bet when he See's my car. The first words out of his mouth is, can you do mine next. So i'll have to do at least two cars. Maybe more, mom hasn't ask "yet" Thanks Tim
Old 03-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I have a local supplier that I order from. Before that, I bought it from a printing place that made tablets and used the chipboard as a backer for the paper pads. You can order chipboard on the 'net through these folks: CLICK HERE

Old 03-10-2009, 09:16 AM

Last photo:

That's a trip. I was looking around on the net last night and found that site and chipboard. I almost ordered some. But figured i should ask first. Thanks Dan. Tim
Old 03-13-2009, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

Got my card board and started working on my seats. Works perfect. Thanks Dan. Had to order some thread. Didn't have any black. The back of rear seats are going to be black Alcantara. So I'll have to wait to go any further. Dan have you ever used any of this foam for headliners. its called, Closed Cell White 2A Volara. How is it to work with and will it last ? I ordered some and when i received it. I was surprised because it looks nothing like the rest of the foam i bought. I hope it alright, i ordered a bunch. Enough to do my car, sons, and wife's.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

It works great for sculpting designs. Just make sure you scuff both sides of it before you glue it or the bond will not be as good. This is especially important on a headliner.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

I scuff it up a little. Played with some and your right. It holds much better if scuffed first. Finished my headliner. Laid glue down with a cheap spray gun. Did alright but really could use a better spray gun. Wife helped and we laid foam down all at once. Kinda scary, one mistake could cost me hours. Had allot of work in it just to get it ready. Took about 1 1/2 to wire brush all of the old foam off. Was very careful when laying this new foam down. Looked killer though, for first time ever doing a headliner. When laying material down i used a paint brush. Found a 4 inch Prudy brush i used to do some painting a while back. Worked great for laying glue down. Started in the middle. Making sure embroidery was centered. Then work my way out. Hard to do with just the wife and I. Had to pull as hard as i could in a few spots. It was worth every minute. When i finished and was all happy about how killer it looked. Then i put the visors up next to it and it looked like crap. So i started on visors. "Was told by a local shop that there's nothing you can do with visors, they would be tore up to bad to use over by the time you got them apart" They were very time consuming. But i didnt find any reason why they cant be done. Came out nice and then all of the hardware had to be painted. On the end of the visors you can see where i added some Alcantara so when you lock visors in place it doesn't take the paint off of the lock pin. Alcantara is kind of like felt, worked killer. Hardware and visors were charcoal in color originally. Now everything is black. Sanded, primed, painted, then clear coated. Looks nice, cant wait to get it installed. Headliner has been out for five to six weeks. What a job. Thanks Dan, I'm sure it wouldn't look this good or last as long with out your help. I really appreciate it. Black thread should be here tomorrow and then back to working on seats.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	head11.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	36929   Click image for larger version

Name:	sunviser22.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	36930   Click image for larger version

Name:	sunviser33.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	36931  
Old 03-19-2009, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

OK a little update. Headliner is installed. On my done list... Now working on my seats. Have a couple of questions if you don't mind Dan. First will you look at pics and tell me if you see anything that's not right. Next, On my headrest i have 1/2 foam along with two long side panels. The rest all has 1/4. Headrest has a top stitch on each side. Looks like it will be hard to do with 1/2 inch foam. Should i just trim the foam down where the top stitch is. Or should i just give it my best. I made sure all of these were perfect patterns. I went over them at least five to six times. Just to make sure before i start to sew. Wish i could get my spray gun to work right. I tried to, but never could get it adjusted right. Had big spots all over my first center pleated piece. The one you see in pic is my second one. First one was unusable. Had little small dent all over it from glue. Was good practice though. Second one came out perfect. third and fourth pic is the Alcantara seat back. Ive already done it and it came out great. I think. looks like it did when i mocked it up. Thanks Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	seats 11.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	36985   Click image for larger version

Name:	seats 22.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	36986   Click image for larger version

Name:	seats 33.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	36987   Click image for larger version

Name:	seats 44.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	36988   Click image for larger version

Name:	headliner 55.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	36989  

Old 03-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

What I see looks real good, it's obvious you are being very meticulous. I'm curious why you didn't sew around the perimeter of the dark pieces in the first picture?

If you want an easier time with the headrest, don't sew the fabric to the sew foam. Instead, glue the same sew foam upside down (with the backing facing out) right to the foam on the headrest.

This will accomplish two things. It will make the headrest cover far easier to sew, and gluing the foam on inside out will let the fabric slip and make the headrest cover easier to put on.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

Last night all i did was make the insert. Well i made two and one was a throw away. Had all of my plugs rough cut, but nothing was glued. This morning i started to gluing foam and leather together. Then cut all of them out. So i just finished and thought I'd have you look and see if i missed anything. "I did" So i forgot. Glad your helping me. I would of started sewing with out sewing around the perimeter. Guess I'll make a lap around them now, or its two right ? ...That's one reason it takes me so long. I check and recheck a couple of times before i sew. Usually i sew at night when i'm not working. Every time I've sewed something while I'm working. I always seem to do it twice. The foam side of sew foam should be glud to the leather right ? If not i have a problem. All of my sew foam is glued with the fabric side out and foam side glued to leather. Hope i did that right.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.