Hot Rod Forum banner

First time makeing new seat covers.

11K views 83 replies 8 participants last post by  slodat 
#1 ·
Just to let y'all know history. Ive been teaching myself for about a year now how to sew. Read many books all post on here. But never have done any auto seats. I'm going to do the seats in my car. 2007 Shelby GT500 white with dark blue stripes. All exterior trim was sanded and painted black. Main color for seats is black, with dark blue inserts and all blue thread. Front and rear seats, blue inserts on door and seats. Arm rest black, dash black and blue and black steering wheel. Ive already done headliner in black alcantara, rear inside deck, rear truck deck lid, rear trunk trim panel. Also i made a new carpet for trunk. I used Bentley carpet. I have all the seats out and getting started. Pics are of back seat top. If y'all don't mind. Can you have a look at these pics and give me any info on what i could or passably problems i might run into. I do have a few questions. They are Velcro together. Should i buy new Velcro to sew on. Or just reuse the stock stuff ? Also they have strips that hold it together. What should used for the strips. Reused old ones or can i buy better stuff to replace whats on stock. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I took a bunch of pics just in case and i still have one together. I figured I'd start at the back and work my way forward. I have a few more questions. But i was trying to keep this post short. Thanks Tim

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
You will have a hard time finding a source for the plastic pieces, so you'd be better off re-using them. You'll also need to salvage the fuzzy stuff sewed to the seat cover seams that mates with the Velstick attached to the seat foam. You will need a special foot for your sewing machine to sew them back on like the ones in the first picture. The one on the right is called a single right upturn foot, and the other one is called a single right foot. You could also use a zipper foot made for the right side.

You can also re-use the Velcro if it is in good shape, but that is so readily available you might want to just replace it. The carpet-like stuff on the back of the seats is called Spectropile LX or Superflex. Superflex is available from HERE You won't need any binding around that hole, that stuff is as tough as nails.

Don't take the other seat cover apart until you have the first one finished, that way you can refer to it while you're doing the other one.

Attachments

#5 ·
OK i did order a bunch of new feet. Like seven total and the machine came with two. The material on the back I'm going to change. It did match the trunk rug. But ive changed that to black bentley carpet and black Alcantara panels. So i was thinking of using Alcantara or black leather. Not sure yet. Haven't got that far. Just received blue leather for door insert and seats. Been ordering stuff most of the day. I didn't have anything i need but glue. Leather i received is killer. Happy about that. Still need black, but not sure how much i need. Cant decide if i want to use the same for dash and arm rest. Or should i do use a heavier grain leather on them. Still need two more yards of Alcantara panel. Man this is getting expensive. Its my stimulus package. Doing what i can to help. :) At Least the seats are very good condition and i can use all of the stock plastic over. I have a lot of Velcro left over from trunk carpet. Still need some foam. I have some 3/8 sew foam that i used on panels. But what would you recomend for the seats. As you can see, not much from the factory. Maybe a 1/6 thick. None on back. For tthe next couple of days I'll be building a table to work on. Then while the interior is out I'm installing a new stereo system. Most of its done tho.

#6 ·
Here's some more info, as to why i haven't figure out how much leather that i need. Because i haven't figured what front seats i want to use. I bought some Recaro seats about a year ago for another car. But never used them. This car will need a roll bar. They told me last time i was racing not to come back with out one. So i was going to recover my Recaro seats, but haven't found out how to take them apart. I'd like to use them. If its going to be a big pain. Then I'll just use the stock ones. I haven't giving up on the Recaro's yet. I might give them a call and see if they can send me a how to. Then cover them with the same leather as the back ones. To bad i didn't order them with blue inserts. Then I'd be ready. Just do the back.

Attachments

#7 ·
Wantabe said:
Still need some foam. I have some 3/8 sew foam that i used on panels. But what would you recomend for the seats.
I would recommend 1/2" sew foam for the seat tops and 1/4" sew foam for the perimeter pieces. Combined with leather, 1/2"sew foam makes a fabulous seat. Here's an example: This is a seat out of an '86 Caddy done in all black leather.

Attachments

#8 ·
Yes i ordered some 1/2 foam. Ive been reading your post for a while now and seen your work. You put out absolutely awesome work. I like the way 1/2 inch looks. I received blue leather on friday. Very happy with it. Soft smooth light gran and the hide is good size. Its on the table i just built. Table is 4X6ft, that gives you an idea of how big it is. Black I'll order in the morning. I ordered a reducer pulley for my new machine. Its just to fast for me. Ordered a fabric cutter and a few other things. Most of it i wont see for about a week. Took me all day to build the table. Still needs some paint and a few drawers. But getting closer everyday. I took some pics of the bottom of the back seat. It has a bunch of straps. Most are Velcro and some are plastic pieces that hook together. Should i reused the straps. Not sure what they are made of. But seem to be strong. Can i just reuse them and maybe sew leather on top of them ? not clear as to what i should do with all these straps. Thanks for your help. Here's some pics. Of my new sew room and the wife's to of coarse. ;)

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
The straps are made of black Versare, which is spun polypropylene. It is used as a weed barrier called landscaping cloth and can be bought at home centers and hardware stores like Ace. (Be sure you are getting heavier spun polypropylene, and not Accord which is also spun polypropylene but is very light weight. Accord has a pebble finish. What you're looking for should be 2.3 to 3 ozs. per square yard.) It is very strong, does not make any noise, and doesn't stretch. If you try to make the straps out of leather alone it will not work because the leather will stretch. You can glue leather to the Versare and sew it down and then the straps won't stretch.

Can I ask what you paid for the leather?

#11 ·
Hey Dan, Thanks for info. It was 200 including shipping I bought it from Euro Leather. I found that white fuzzy stuff. Its called auto loop, or Milllock. Made by a company called Milliken. I guess all late model cars seats use this type of Velcro. Found it at a web site that you had recommended to another member on here. Have question if you don't mind. If i use 1/2 foam, will i need to add to the allowance. Looking at the pic on this web site got my thinking. The auto loop or Velcro would need to stick up more, right ? Stock covers have 5/16 allowance on all seams. Auto loop is 1/2 inch high from seam. Looks like its just sewed on after all seams were sewn. http://www.perfectfit.com/15387/554831/Hook--Loop-Velcro/Auto-Loop-For-Replacing-Covers.html

#12 ·
Yes, it's sewed on after the other seams are sewed. Because you're using leather, you don't need to add any extra to the allowance to compensate for 1/2" sew foam. The leather will stretch more than the fabric on the original seat covers.

If I got a hide like that I'd send it back. There shouldn't be any large holes in it like yours has, at least not that far into the hide.

#13 ·
I was surprised at the holes. First hide I've ever bought. Its more then I'll need even with the holes. They did drop the price. But for a new account, you would think they would send there best. Don't know maybe they did. But i need some more "black" I'll see if they give me a break on it. I believe I'm ready to get started. Just a few things that are onorder. Once they get here, then I'll see how all of my home work payed off. Here's a couple of pics. Some of the rear deck, and rear trunk lid. Rear trunk lid i used Dynamat to cover the inside. its not stuck on, just laying there. Then i lay down about three layers of fiberglass. Then popped it off of the Dynamate. Dynamat made a good mold and Still usable afterwards. I haven't finished it yet. Had to order more Alcantara panel. Used all i had on headliner. Just got it back from embroidery guy. He put "Shelby" with the S inside of the C. Like you see in pic. Rear deck lid will have the same embroidery as headliner. I had a aluminum amp rack made. It looks cool. I'll get some pics of the amp rack. Two JL Audio amps bolts to it. Making a sub box out of blue and black carbon fiber/kevlar hybrid material. Some pics of that soon. I really appreciate all your help. Tim

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
Here's some more pics. Before i laid trunk carpet. I made aluminum panels to cover holes in the sides of trunk. Then i had amp rack made. Had it polished. After that i started on carpet. I made side panels out of 1/4 birch plywood. Then covered them with carpet. I left enough room around the bottom to tuck the carpet into. All of the carpet seams. I used hot glue carpet tape underneath before i made my cuts. Instead of using binding. Makes it look like its a molded carpet. Trimmed around amp rack legs, so you don't see the bottom brackets. Just the legs come up through the carpet. Then velcro-ed all of it down. It took me hours to make the carpet. But it did come out nice. Doesn't look all that good in pics. But in person it does look good. I did the rear trunk panel in Alcantara. But i think I'm going to do it over. Now that i have a good machine. It really needed some seams. But it'll be one of the last things i do. Right now i want to get my headliner back in and door inserts done, and stereo installed. Then seats, dash console lid and arm rest. So far Ive been working and buy stuff for three months. But its winding down. Cant wait to start on seats. That should be fun compared to some of this other work. Havent drove the car in a while. Before this i install a complete Moser 9 inch with coilovers all custom made control arms. Everything was powder coated. Once this is done. I'm done for a while. It'll be time to go for a ride. :mwink:

Attachments

#15 ·
Finished rear panel inserts today. They came out nice. I was surprised that i didn't waste any leather. First time i ever done door inserts. Just in case someone would like to know how i did them. First i cut a rough pattern of the insert. Then laid it over the panel. I used a sharp screwdriver and push the martial down in the grove. Pushing hard enough to make my cut line. Then just cut it out and glued it down. Front panels will be much harder. But rears were easy. I know you guys do a lot harder panels and most everyone has older cars, trucks. Just thought if you run into a late model car. Maybe this will be some help. Front panels I'll need to drill holes to gain access to screws that hold the insert on. Should be an experience. I'll post some pics and info when i get done with them. What you think ? Does it look good ? Thanks Tim

Attachments

#16 ·
Hey Dan i got the feet in today. Can you look and make sure i got the right ones. I got a few extra, top stitch set. These Recaro seats were a PITA to get apart. They pull on the leather from every direction. Very tight and hard to get apart. Working at dealerships for years Ive done many seat covers. But never have done anything as hard as these Recaro seats. I don't believe I'll have room for 1/2 foam. Or any foam. There that tight. Only thing they have on the back of the leather. Is some kind of cloth. Can you tell me what kind of cloth it is please. I know Ive been asking a lot. Just don't want to wear out my welcome. Just assuming that i am ..... :) Thanks Tim
Oh i ask them about the leather. They told me some are brahma bulls and have the hump, they cut that area out. Sounds like bull huh :D Giving me a break on two more. Let yeah know how that turns out.

Attachments

#17 ·
The first three feet are a set of top stitch feet of different widths, one set looks like a double welt foot, but it's hard to tell. The other two black ones are single right feet which you can use to sew the plastic pieces back on the seat cover. I'm not sure what the silver one is, it could be a presser foot, but I'm not sure.

The fabric looks like the scrim backing on sew foam. As far as the leather goes, that sounds like bull spit (substitute an "H" for the "P") to me....I've never seen an upholstery hide like that. Voids in the hide generally mean it's a lower quality hide.

#18 ·
Thanks Dan, do you know of any good books that will teach me how to use the different feet and stitches. That's about the only part where I'm not feeling real comfortable. Making my patterns basic sewing isn't a problem. I'd like to learn the proper names of stitches and what foot i would need for different seams. As far as the leather. I think they had one scarred up bad and pond it off on me. Because i told them this was just a hobby of mine. I compared my hide to whats on the Recaro seats. It looks the same to me. I'm not experience so i could be wrong. I would think for what the seats cost, they would have nice leather. Any suggestions on where to buy ?

#19 · (Edited)
The use of different feet on your machine is mainly common sense. You use a welt foot if you're sewing welts, and a presser foot if you're sewing regular straight seams. You use the top stitch feet when you're top stitching, and the single right feet when you need to avoid an obstruction to the left of the needle that a regular foot would hit. I really know of no book that would help you, it's just experience and repetition.
There really are no different stitches, they are all the same straight stitches. Some are bigger than others or are placed differently, but they are all still straight stitches. If you know how to top stitch, you know how to make a French seam.
The only places I buy leather from only sell to businesses, so that wouldn't help you, but I suggest you learn more about leather and what makes one hide good quality and another one poor quality. There are huge differences, and you should know what they are the next time you buy. I suggest you look at this link from Spinneybeck: CLICK HERE Spinneybeck sells fabulous leather, but it's really expensive. Also Google "leather" and look at the Wikipedia entry for it.

#20 ·
Thanks Dan, That's what i was thinking just wasn't sure. Common sense always helps. :) So far i finished all of my door inserts. They came out killer. Was hard to do and i was tired of door inserts by the time i finished the last one. Now i have all of my leather. I bought two more hides. One is a heavy grain and thick. Using that for Dash, arm rest, console cover. Thought I'd do arm rest first. Just to give me some time on new machine. I did gear it down. That's cool, its armature proof now. Received all of my foam, 1/4 and 1/2 also some 3/8 i bought for the rear deck panel. New stuff is pretty pink with gray junk on the back. Feels kind hard for foam. Any way i have one question before i start on arm rest. This could be normal, just not sure. Oh i did get some #22 leather needles and I'm using 92 thread. When i sew, the stitch on top " needle side" looks like its sewing a little side ways. The bottom looks straight, really nice . Is that the way it should be. Or do i have something out of adjustment. Other then that the stitch looks good. Its tight and even inside of the material. But that side ways stitch is bugging me. My new hides looks awesome. One is real smooth and the grainy one is going to look sick. Its like motorcycle seat stuff. I'll get some pics once i do my arm rest. Just two piece with french stitch down the middle and stapled on. Getting close and happy as could be right now :D .

#21 ·
You need to loosen the tension both on the top thread and at the bobbin for the lower thread until the top thread straightens out. I see this on my own machines when I sew thicker fabrics. It's not a big deal unless the stitching shows, then it's a very big deal.

#22 ·
Have one more question. On my arm rest. Stock its a very thin vinyl. With french seam down the middle. If i fold this leather and make a french seam it'll stick out to far and wont look flat. Can i just seam it, then cut off as much as i can. Just put a stitch down each side ? Will that be strong enough to hold. Or should i just do a french seam and make it look the best i can. Here's a couple of pics. One is front door insert, they were hard to do, two of arm rest. So far i haven't wasted any leather. I'm glade because i believe I'm just going to have enough of blue. Did make a piece just to see how it looks. One I made is just a seam with stitch down each side. Thanks for your time. Tim Having a good time with this. Its been an experience. when i get to the seats i believe is when the fun will start. Cant wait.

Attachments

#24 ·
Yes, you can trim it back to the stitch line (lines) if you want. On an armrest you could sew a French seam without any backing, or just top stitch it so it shows on the side.

#26 ·
Thanks Dan, Buds. Finished my arm rest. Not real happy, but they will pass. Had gazillion little tiny stapes in them. So i bought a electric stapler and some staples. Tried to shoot one in and it bounce off and hit me in my arm. So i thought maybe i hit a bad spot. Not, it didn't even have enough power to make a staple stick much less go in. So i had to buy a small compressor and an air stapler. Got it all ready, shot one in and it cracked my arm rest. Well i learned a lot today. One is, you need air if your going to staple. Second is, Leather hides a lot of crap. Its like paint. Very user friendly. It will stretch a mile if you need it to and it hides crap really good. Here's a pic of my first ever sewing job, on a car with leather. Bad day in the sew room. :sweat: Both arm rest are done. I just used some very small screws and glue and i have a new Craftsman compressor and stapler. That i don't need. Dan i stayed with french stitch so it would look stock. Top stitch was a very good idea tho. Thanks Tim

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.