Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - First time patch welding
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 10:26 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Once again your being too hard on yourself (a sign of a good craftsman) Your patch looks fine. all you need is a couple pointers..
Try putting a drop light behind the work to find the pinholes then blast them with your welder.
The blue spots are metal ground too thin and getting overheated to fix this just get your pick hammer or a punch and counter sink the spot then weld it up...piece a cake...
Thanks DBM.. I couldnt stop laughing at your last post I started.. Did an old Indian really tell you that??

I figured I was over analyzing the situation.. I was thinking that these tiny, if any, pinholes can just be covered with a couple layers of Epoxy Primer, filler, then the primers. Doesnt see how filling with figerglass resin first willbe any help. If water gets in and starts rusting the metal the resin will separate from the metal.

DBM I do see how I can just blast small pinholes with the welder but Im afraid to burn through again.. Ive had a hell of a time keeping not burning through. Im hoping that problem is that Im using too big of wire guage.. using .30 without gas. Ive lowered it as far as I can go but still cannot get it to flow smoothly. My next invested is a C-25 gas tank.. Do you think gas and using smaller guage will make that big a difference?