Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - First time porting heads
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Drag Racing Lover

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
Leave the stock studs alone. They do not pull out like the stock studs on the old heads do.
They are fine as is for most hi perf street applcations. even with high perf springs.
Just use a self guided style rocker arm ( stock or aftermarket)

The risk of breaking the the stud boss by trying to pull them out exceeds the
preceived benefit of a screw in stud.
Again, these stock pressed in studs do not cause the issues that the old heads did.

LEAVE THE STUDS ALONE
What cam and rockers are you using. You are probabily getting all carried away for a bunch of nothing.
Man, I sure am glad I got a phone call and didn't make it back out to the garage and you caught me before I started. Thanks FBird. I hadn't read, seen anywhere or heard anything about the studs on Vortecs and just assumed they were like any other sbc head. I was going to put screw studs in just in case I ever wanted to go with a bigger cam one day. I'm running the Summit K1103, 272/282-.442/.465 on a 112 lsa and running the stock rockers that came with these heads unless I change my mind and then i'll run these COMP Cams Magnum Steel Roller Tip Rocker Arms 1417-16 - SummitRacing.com.