Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - first time resto
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPandComing View Post
i have a compressor and a 300$ hvlp gun set just haven't gotten to the stage where i can spray, i was advised by the place in my local that mixes the paint to use the self etching if and only if there is more paint on the car than bare metal which there is, i WAS going to just sand blast the car completely but bc this is project that i can only work on when i have free time at home iv been sanding as far as i can. so educated me bc im no body guy by any means haha what kind of problems will i run into if i continue on this course of action? where do i find a step by step guide on how to do a successful job start to finish?
Theres so much to know it'll just confuse you...Break it down into small sections or jobs.
job #1 how do I get it to the metal??? This alone is confussing enough...
The only true answear is every car is different ,we'll need to know more about the car, year ,how much paint is on it,etc,,,
basicly theres three ways to remove paint...
media blasting
chemical stripping
sanding
It would be well advised to read up on some of our old threads on these methods to find which one best suits you and the draw backs of each one..
Once the paint is off then theres the metal prep,and you thought paint removal was confusing...
Theres a lot of opinions on whats best. but you'll find the general consensess is start with bare metal then epoxy not etch primer first off you cant put filler over etch primer it wont stick well ,you need to sand it off the spots where you need filler and there goes any sealing properties it has for the steal...
Making any sense so far ??????

Last edited by deadbodyman; 01-15-2013 at 06:05 AM.