first time spray booth question? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 12:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

first time spray booth question?

ive been shooting paint for like 4 years now, but never in a real booth. well this weekend i rented one for $50.00 for 4 hours. i was wondering, are there any tips or suggestions that would best utilize my time in there. also, ive been spraying in garages with limited ventilation, how will a booth differ from garages? quality of final finish? drying time? time between coats? im spraying a bc/cc paint system. any info will be greatly appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2006, 09:23 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

You will never want to go back! Booths are a dream to work in. Drying time , time between coats, etc., wont change. Neither should your paint routine of wetting down the floor, de-greasing the primer, tack-ragging the surface, etc. However the lighting will be super so your coverage will be more uniform and job quality much improved. Final surface will be much cleaner too.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Actually the time between coats and drying time can be speeded up of course because of the air movement pulling the solvents from the paint film.

Brian
Old 09-30-2006, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

The most important thing you can do is depending on the clear find out how long the manufacturer wants you to run the fan after your last coat of clear.

Not long enough on some clears it can cause dieback, solvent pop and even lost of adhesion between the clear and the base.

To long on some it can cause cloudiness or solvent pop.
Very important that you know.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:23 PM

Last photo:

I'll agree with the guys that you won't want to go back to the garage, the lighting should be far superior, as well as good exhaust. Less shadows and better lighting means you should have an easier time reading how the paint is laying and how far you can push it so everythings nice smooth and glossy, but not full of runs. Shouldn't be doing any guess painting like in many garages with a lack of light. Theoreticly you should have a cleaner job also, but it really depends on the booth and how well its upkeep is. I've had cleaner jobs out of my garage then could get in some of the crossflow booths I worked in, even when cleaning them well often. Then there was the one in school which was downdraft and a real dream to paint in. Its kinda sucks starting out in a real nice booth and then spending most of you time painting in lesser quality ones for years after that. At least for you going from a garage to a booth should be an improvement. Don't really know what to suggest to save time, besides having stuff all ready for your time in the booth and and making sure you have everything you need, tack rags, mixing cups, what ever you feel you are going to need and normally use. Even little things like stretching out the hoses before you start so you don't get a tangled mess to drag around the car, or making sure there is something to stand on if you will need to reach the center of the roof. No sense in rushing things though, cause thats when screwups happen and can not only ruin the job, but your time very well may be used up before you can fix and finish the job. Thats one advantage to your garage, you have time without worring about having to share it.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:27 PM

A helper outside the booth to mix the paint, like a runner for you.

Rob

There are questions to be answered, and answers to be questioned"

Chassis, Body Jig, Trunk Pan Pics.
http://webpages.charter.net/2manitowoc

Paint booth, Ventilation, etc.
http://www.2manitowoc.com/paintroom.html
Old 09-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

Yes indeed you will love the booth. But, is it a down draft or a cross flow. In "picky world" that changes your pattern around a car. In a down-draft I start at the top and work my way down and around (ie. R roof, L roof, R qrtr, deck, L qrtr, R door, L door, R fndr, hood, L fndr). In a cross-draft I start at one end and run back and forth down the sides (ie. R qrtr, deck, L qrtr, R roof, L roof, R door, L door, R fndr, hood, Lfndr). Try to avoid overspray being drawn over the coat as it flashes behind you. Just my opinion, and it has worked for me.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.