First Time Sprayer, problem with Practice Panel, PPG Shopline - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

First Time Sprayer, problem with Practice Panel, PPG Shopline

Hey,
I am using PPG shopline products and spraying deep wedgewood blue (ford) and I have been practicing on some items that are NOT my car (old computer cases, wheel covers, ect) and I know this is not perfect, but im trying to get a feel for the gun and the products before I go spraying a tiny section of a car.

Either way, first thing, im curious is it normal after applying basecoat to have NO shine what so ever or if i need to add more coats or if its because I just havent applied clear yet.

Second, if I am getting a orange peelish look to my paint (basecoat), what is causing this if i have not laid down the clear yet. I had pressure issues with my gun at first, but they were corrected by upping the pressure a tiny bit. I was spraying at 10PSI and barely getting any paint, upped it to 15 and got paint, it got worse after a bit, but that was due to the vent ****ing up on the hopper.

Im really sorry to have to ask you guys questions, but i want to at least learn how to apply this properly. I dont want to mess up on something I really love (my car).

Pretty much the only reason I am doing this is because an ex girlfriend decided to throw Draino all over my roof because I dumped her for cheating on me. I have full coverage but im pretty sure one more claim will drop me and the adjuster came out already, its just a matter of pushing the claim through. I figure if i mess up ill sand back down and send it to a professional, if it comes out half decent for me ill be a happy camper.....

Thanks.
Ryan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 08:31 AM

you will have minimal shine with basecoat... make sure each coat is good and flashed before the next coat... 15 psi is the south end of what you should be using... don't worry about orange peel with basecoat... as long as it's not 36grit rough you'll be fine after clear
Old 03-02-2011, 03:36 PM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

peel in the base coat CAN transfer into the clear. There is NO reason to spray your base with peel. If your technique is bad with base,it wll be bad with clear. You need to raise your air up to closer to 30 psi. What gun are you using, that makes a huge difference in what air pressure you are running. I take it that you are probably using an HVLP (that's where the 10 psi came from) that number should NOT be given out because inexperienced painters don't know what that means. It is 10 psi at the CAP not at the GUN. HUGE difference. The ONLY way you can know for sure what the cap pressure is, is with a special cap with a guage that is only available for certain guns. The manufacturers usually state, for example, 28 psi at the gun is 10 at the cap. That is not necessarily true. They are usually off by a few psi. Anyway, that doesn't matter. Bump your air pressure up to the recommended pressure from the manufacturer. If your gun doesn't say or the instructions don't, yo can find it online.Once the air goes up, the peel will go down.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:17 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

undergrounds right, theres no reason for orange peel in base!! Hopper? What gun are you useing? did you get a ppg Spec sheet If your not exp. you need one!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:55 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

are you sanding , priming , sealing and sanding , washing and preping your test peices before shooting !!! that may not be orange peal!!!! You have to prep samples just like a vehicle or you get a mess!!!! PPG base coats can act like lacquer and react on other paints or clears!!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 05:18 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

I usualy put a large peice of paint paper (the paper used to tape off a car) on my spray booth wall set my patern, pressure, and flow and shoot a test pass on this paper! between each coat on the vehicle I shoot another on the paper that way I can touch the paint and see how it tacked and reset my gun if any thing changed .You can shoot coat after coat on this paper when your done shooting it usualy looks the same as the car!!! Buy some GOOD paper and practice on it (no prep,no reactions) throw it away !put up another and practice some more!!! Is your paint comeing out of your gun in big droplets or fine ?
Old 03-02-2011, 05:32 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Underground: Do I have to leave this area and come back to see the next post or do they come up while im here? Seems like I have to leave and come back !!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:35 PM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

Yeah you have to leave or refresh the page
Old 03-02-2011, 06:41 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

THANKS Ive been waiting for replies
Old 03-03-2011, 06:24 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

The guys are right about the pressure but I also find most newbies load the base up too much trying to make it shine like a single stage paint...
try three thin coats ,you should be able to see through the first coat ,apply the second and third the same way.it 's supposed to look dull and blotchy untill it drys and it should be dry to the touch in a few min and ready to recoat in about 15min ..
You should practice with SS untill you get your technique down...
Old 03-03-2011, 09:04 PM

First, I DID prep and prime the practice panel.
Second.... I DID look up the spec sheets.
Third.... sounds good to me about practicing on the sheets, i thought it wouldnt turn out as well on a sheet as a piece of stainless.

Like I said, im learning this, im not a pro... but hope to perfect this.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:55 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

The thing nobody talks about here is viscosity. Many take for granted the new guys know how to adjust the viscosity of primers,bases and clear and overlook a detailed explanation and simply rant about tech sheets. Well the tech sheet is good to get it close but are often "padded info" and tuning material viscosity isn't found on a tech sheet it is learned by trial and error. This trial and error can be at the mix bench way before the redo trial.
Here's a link that just might help..
http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread.php?t=2795

go head I'm back in the bushes
Old 03-04-2011, 04:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

LOL,I tried to buy a new viscosity cup last year and no one at the paint stores knew what it was. very handy when using old paint off the shelf.
Looks like you couldnt find one either..they're hard to find but still around.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

I use Milo's method of testing viscosity pretty regularly now. I couldn't find a Zahn cup and then stumbled across Milo's method, works like a champ.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 AM
OLDFART952

yoh dude nice woman u have !!!

ok, basecoat ppg what is it enamel,acrilic enam,lac,or poly? call ppg ask it there is suposed to be shine. it depends on your paint type. orange peel to much pressure or your movin to slow. what kinda car ya got ? if your usin lacquer base coat it'll never shine. later oldfart960

Either way, first thing, im curious is it normal after applying basecoat to have NO shine what so ever or if i need to add more coats or if its because I just havent applied clear yet.

Second, if I am getting a orange peelish look to my paint (basecoat), what is causing this if i have not laid down the clear yet. I had pressure issues with my gun at first, but they were corrected by upping the pressure a tiny bit. I was spraying at 10PSI and barely getting any paint, upped it to 15 and got paint, it got worse after a bit, but that was due to the vent ****ing up on the hopper.

Im really sorry to have to ask you guys questions, but i want to at least learn how to apply this properly. I dont want to mess up on something I really love (my car).

Pretty much the only reason I am doing this is because an ex girlfriend decided to throw Draino all over my roof because I dumped her for cheating on me. I have full coverage but im pretty sure one more claim will drop me and the adjuster came out already, its just a matter of pushing the claim through. I figure if i mess up ill sand back down and send it to a professional, if it comes out half decent for me ill be a happy camper.....

Thanks.
Ryan[/QUOTE]

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.