Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - First time spraying PPG DP50 and Featherfill G2. Advice needed.
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM

Last journal entry: Por 15
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

First time spraying PPG DP50 and Featherfill G2. Advice needed.

Gentlemen,
I am about ready to embark on my first painting procedure. I have several parts that I am going to primer but I am planning on starting with my wheels. I figured that the wheels are simple enough to spray with primer that I donít have to be an expert at painting to get it right. Also, if I have some minor flaws, it wonít be as noticeable as a flaw on the body panel. Do you think that spraying the primer on the wheels is a bad part to begin with? I also have the front fenders ready to spray as well.
My wheels have been sandblasted. I blew off all the remaining dust and wiped them off with a cloth. Should I do anything else? Maybe acetone wipe down?
The materials I was recommend to use are:
PPG DP50 Epoxy primer with PPG DP 401LF catalyst. NO REDUCER
On top of the PPG DP50 will be:
Featherfill G2
Does anyone have any experience working with these two materials together? My friend recommended them and said he uses these two together all the time. Are these compatible materials?
How long should I wait before I spray the G2 primer? Do I need to do any surface preparation before I spray it on top of the DP50? The tech data sheet on the PPG primer(link below) says 60 minutes before the Top coat, is my Featherfill G2 considered the Topcoat?
I do not have the recommended(from the tech sheet) degreaser or cleaner. What are some readily available products I can use as a substitute?
Has anyone used this primer before? Have you used it on car wheels?
Do you suggest I use a reducer? How will I know if I need a reducer?

Primer: https://buyat.ppg.com/refinishproduc...3-b1b41189fd20
Catalyst: http://www.tcpglobal.com/KustomShop/...DOCS/P-122.PDF

Any further advice would be appreciated.
Thanks