Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - First time spraying PPG DP50 and Featherfill G2. Advice needed.
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 10:12 AM

Last journal entry: Por 15
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielC
Here are some wheels I painted in 2008?

The wheels were sandblasted, and sprayed with PPG 1790/1791. Then DPLF/ DP402, then Dupont Centari/793S.

I did not use the Featherfill.

Each time I did a painting step, I would paint the backside first. and then the front side. That way the over spray ends in on the back side of the wheels.

I laid the wheels flat on a masked off board, on three broken pieces of a paint stir stick, to minimise contact spots.
I was planning on hanging my wheels with welding wire. I wrapped the welding wire through the wheel stud hole and the center cap hole in a way that the wire spots won't show?

Quote:
The problem with painting wheels and parts is sanding the primers...so wouldnt it make sence to spray a primer that left no texture (orange peel) so you could paint without sanding in between..You would need a primer that stuck well to bare metal and provided some protection against rust and it would also have to be reduced to a paint like viscosity to be used as a sealer.
Epoxy is the only way to go but if the epoxy your using dosent do all this AND build AND sand well then look into SPI epoxy it does it all,so if you have pitts you can fill them then sand then seal and paint ...60.00 for a qt and that should be plenty....
Unfortunately my wheels had such bad rust pitting that I need a sandable primer so that I can build some thickness with my primer.