Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - First time: valve train geometry/mock up questions
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
Is there any chance that anti corrosion crap will ruin the engine oil?
No, it won't ruin the motor oil/beak in lube.

Quote:
Also I put the head gasket on there using minor torque on the bolts. It is a Victor Reinz graphite gasket and it left some minor residue on the head and block. I am wondering if I should wipe it off before reinstalling, or if the gasket is toast at this point. I can take pics if needed.

Here is the gasket I am using (says Clevite, but the package says Victor Reinz):
Clevite Engine Parts 5746 - Clevite Nitroseal Cylinder Head Gaskets - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Unless the backing has peeled away from the gasket core they should be OK to use. If you feel otherwise, obviously you can replace them.

Quote:
Which BTW look EXACTLY like the ubiquitous GMMP gaskets (although these are .028" and supposedly for 4.000" bores only). And I do happen to have two of these GMMP's in the garage, but the block is .060"...so I guess they are out of the question.
GM Performance 10105117 - Chevrolet Performance Composition Head Gaskets - Overview - SummitRacing.com
The 4" bore gasket is for a 4" nominal bore- that's to say the gasket should accept overbores up to at least 0.060". To be sure, simply measure the amount of bore that is showing w/the head gasket in place to be sure the gasket fire ring isn't overhanging the bore. Or measure the gasket bore- it should be around 4.090" to 4.1" for most 4" nominal bore gaskets.

If you look up the specs on the 10105117 gasket, the bore diameter is 4.1"- at least that's what my hand written notes say...
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
Silver Surfer (08-25-2012)