Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - First time: valve train geometry/mock up questions
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
Is there any chance that anti corrosion crap will ruin the engine oil?
No, it won't ruin the motor oil/beak in lube.

Also I put the head gasket on there using minor torque on the bolts. It is a Victor Reinz graphite gasket and it left some minor residue on the head and block. I am wondering if I should wipe it off before reinstalling, or if the gasket is toast at this point. I can take pics if needed.

Here is the gasket I am using (says Clevite, but the package says Victor Reinz):
Clevite Engine Parts 5746 - Clevite Nitroseal Cylinder Head Gaskets - Overview -
Unless the backing has peeled away from the gasket core they should be OK to use. If you feel otherwise, obviously you can replace them.

Which BTW look EXACTLY like the ubiquitous GMMP gaskets (although these are .028" and supposedly for 4.000" bores only). And I do happen to have two of these GMMP's in the garage, but the block is .060" I guess they are out of the question.
GM Performance 10105117 - Chevrolet Performance Composition Head Gaskets - Overview -
The 4" bore gasket is for a 4" nominal bore- that's to say the gasket should accept overbores up to at least 0.060". To be sure, simply measure the amount of bore that is showing w/the head gasket in place to be sure the gasket fire ring isn't overhanging the bore. Or measure the gasket bore- it should be around 4.090" to 4.1" for most 4" nominal bore gaskets.

If you look up the specs on the 10105117 gasket, the bore diameter is 4.1"- at least that's what my hand written notes say...
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
Silver Surfer (08-25-2012)