FirstTime - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008, 08:01 AM
BOWTIE

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

FirstTime

I want to paint my own truck. I've spray bombed in the past when i was younger but never sprayed w/ a compressor and spray gun.What would b the best way to go abouts picking out the right tools and material for a first timer. I was wanting to go w/ a black(the blackest black i can get)w/ either flames or the racing stripes in candy blue or silver. Also will need to know wich primer would b the best,i've heard that a G2 primer is a good choice.Any help would b greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

One of the body guru's here can get you squared away with the proper advice etc.. I have to tell ya though...its my understanding that black is one of the hardest colors to paint.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Welcome aboard!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 12:15 PM
BOWTIE

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
One of the body guru's here can get you squared away with the proper advice etc.. I have to tell ya though...its my understanding that black is one of the hardest colors to paint.
Yea,that's what i hear alot of people say. I just don't really understand why? I don't know what would b the difference between it and the other dark colors.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:45 PM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

The hard part about blacks (or any dark color) is that they show any bodywork easily so you have to block it enough to get it VERY straight. Any base/clear would be cool popss10, I personally like the black used by Chevy on their s10 in 2000 (and many other years!) Whatever system you go with use their primers, bases and clears. After your blackblack base, mask and shoot your graphics, then clear it all. Not too bad of a job, just take time to make everything clean. With todays BC/CC you should be okay if you research the products. I've painted a LONG time and things get more complicated with the mixing, but easier to spray (in my opinion!) I like Martin Senour, PPG, and House of Kolor, but any products will work well if you prepare correctly. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2008, 01:05 PM
BOWTIE

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon J
The hard part about blacks (or any dark color) is that they show any bodywork easily so you have to block it enough to get it VERY straight. Any base/clear would be cool popss10, I personally like the black used by Chevy on their s10 in 2000 (and many other years!) Whatever system you go with use their primers, bases and clears. After your blackblack base, mask and shoot your graphics, then clear it all. Not too bad of a job, just take time to make everything clean. With todays BC/CC you should be okay if you research the products. I've painted a LONG time and things get more complicated with the mixing, but easier to spray (in my opinion!) I like Martin Senour, PPG, and House of Kolor, but any products will work well if you prepare correctly. Good luck!
Thanx. So whatever name brand of paint i decide to use(looking stongly at House of Kolors),i should use the same name brand in the other liquids?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:12 PM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

For sure- I have cleared over HOK with another clear to save money with no problems, but most recommend using same products throughout. HOK is pricey for just a black- you could do the black with a cheaper brand and graphics with HOK- I do it all the time.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:03 PM
BOWTIE

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon J
For sure- I have cleared over HOK with another clear to save money with no problems, but most recommend using same products throughout. HOK is pricey for just a black- you could do the black with a cheaper brand and graphics with HOK- I do it all the time.
Thanx,info is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by popss10
I want to paint my own truck. I've spray bombed in the past when i was younger but never sprayed w/ a compressor and spray gun.What would b the best way to go abouts picking out the right tools and material for a first timer. I was wanting to go w/ a black(the blackest black i can get)w/ either flames or the racing stripes in candy blue or silver. Also will need to know wich primer would b the best,i've heard that a G2 primer is a good choice.Any help would b greatly appreciated.
Ok, you've never painted a vehicle before, never used a spray gun/compressor, you don't have the right tools, and you want to paint black with flames or stripes in "candy blue or silver"?

I hate that I have to be the bearer of bad news.....

That's like going from a go cart to formula 1. You have to learn to walk before you can run. So why don't you get you some parts to practice on before you jump in way over your head.

If you don't have the proper tools, expect to spend a couple of grand in tools real fast, another grand in supplies, and another in paint.

Frank
Old 02-19-2008, 05:37 PM

spraybomb to black with candy flames, well maybe its a rough ratrod or all the money will be wasted. i painted for 31yr and didnt learn with the first job, i was a helper first, some need to stop watching TV, im sorry but you are way over your head, but go for it.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:04 PM
BOWTIE

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countilaw
Ok, you've never painted a vehicle before, never used a spray gun/compressor, you don't have the right tools, and you want to paint black with flames or stripes in "candy blue or silver"?

I hate that I have to be the bearer of bad news.....

That's like going from a go cart to formula 1. You have to learn to walk before you can run. So why don't you get you some parts to practice on before you jump in way over your head.

If you don't have the proper tools, expect to spend a couple of grand in tools real fast, another grand in supplies, and another in paint.

Frank
I can do it.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:10 PM
BOWTIE

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammered51
spraybomb to black with candy flames, well maybe its a rough ratrod or all the money will be wasted. i painted for 31yr and didnt learn with the first job, i was a helper first, some need to stop watching TV, im sorry but you are way over your head, but go for it.
not going to spray bomb it, using a gun w/ hose and compressor and air and electricity, u know the right way. by the way if i need some assistance i got a br n law that will assist. i will send pics when it is done.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Take a class at the /local college

MY son took a class when we were living in Calif and did pretty good ...a couple of kids ther had him gun on the final color.... before he had just painted the tractor and a car hauler we made.... The fire dept was checking out the auto body shops and one guy had about 100 cans of left over paint that wouldn't fit in his safety storage cabinet..he brought it to the students and the kids got free paint Pick your color.. Now we are in central Utah and the local college has an automotive program and also sometimes a paint your own car class.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.