fish eye problem! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 10:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

fish eye problem!

I just sprayed SPI epoxy over my body work after blocking and filling. I have fisheyes pretty bad in some places. How can I keep this from happening? How do I fix this? I used SPI waterbourn degreaser before I laid the epoxy over the bare metal and had almost no fisheyes. I am afraid to use any kind of degreaser over body filler because I am afraid it will get absorbed and cause problems in the next coats. Help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Hot rods are still the king

Last photo:

I use fast evaporating wax and grease remover if you are using a waterborne cleaner over filler I dont use a cleaner over filler then you may be trapping contaminates because water evaporates slower then solvents or you may have oil or water in your air lines one other thing make sure that you have no silicon products where you are spraying
Old 04-30-2010, 02:26 AM

Last journal entry: it can roll now
Last photo:

Not saying this is your case but i have seen body work with pin holes in it and people think its fish eyes from wax/grease. Blow your body work off and look very close next time to make sure arent any minor pin holes. good luck
Old 04-30-2010, 03:47 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Work environment and details. I am prepping a car form paint. I have other cars which need engine work, trans work, etc. I will not touch anything oily or with trans fluid in the shop even if it is in the room next door till the car is painted. I had to work on my tractor but I did it outside. I took the tools out but they do not go back till cleaned with thinner. Oils, hyd fluid, etc become airborn, and get transfered by touch just like the common cold.

Once working on the tractor I never go back in the shop. The cloths are washed seperatly from cloths I use to sand and work on the car I am prepping for paint.

Floor is clean and painted. Even though it is covered in paint, primmer, etc the area I am prepping the car is nopt an area I work on cars.

No one is allowed to touch my car in primer. I only touch it withy gloves. It kills me to watch these car shows where everyone touches a car being prepped for paint. I won't touch a car with my bare hands and I don't let anyone else.

Details.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:47 AM

Last photo:

I don't think they are pinholes (some may be). IT is even in places that don't have filler. I wiped the car down with a tack clothe before I sprayed. I bought it from NAPA in thier autobody department. That is the only thing I did different from my previous sprays. Could that be it? I don't have any silicon in my garage sO I don't know how it would have gotten on the car. I do have two PIA cats that could have walked on the car and tracked something on it from the floor.
I guess my original question still stands. What is the best approach for fixing this? Won't sanding it just smear it around more?
Old 04-30-2010, 07:10 AM

Last photo:

If it was me, I would sand with 180 today to smooth them down, wash with the waterborne and dry, let car set one hour ans spry more epoxy if needed or go to 2K primer.

With you having fish-eye here and there, kind of tells me it is not a airborne contamination problem but an area problem.
Cats did not do it!

9 times out of ten if epoxies fish-eye with first coat (right away) its gassing and usually caused by the wax and grease remover looking dry but still in pours of metal or the sanded paint.

This is normally a problem when doing a car at night when sun goes down and humidity goes up or if it is getting ready to rain or in southeast where there is no such thing as humidity under 110%.

Also you might watch the next application as epoxy is sensitive to air pressure unlike other products and if you see this start to happened up the air pressure at the gun 3-5lbs.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:40 AM

Last photo:

Barry,
Will your W&G remover soak into the body filler and cause problems?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:41 AM

Last photo:

Any wax and grease remover can.

Unless it has enough time to dry and looking dry does not count.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:09 PM

Even on a hot day down here, after i degrease one that is skimmed from top to bottom before epoxy, i blow dry and let sit for a good 30-45 minutes.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:10 AM

Last journal entry: Box is back on the truck
Last photo:

Some times you may never find the cause. One time we had a bad batch of gun wash, It takes a lot of paint jobs to go through a 45 gallon drum. There is fish eye eliminator you can get to ad to what you are spraying.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:24 AM
Last photo:

I never add fish eye eliminator to paint, I don't need another additive to worry about. Good clean prep practices, and sound equipment and paint area procedures will take care of most problems.

Vince
Old 05-01-2010, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

I sprayed again last night and had more fish eyes, just not as many as before. I washed the car with SPI W&G remover and let it dry for about 3 hours. I blew it off, wiped it down with a tack clothe, and shot more epoxy. I noticed that when I sprayed a test spot on my garage door that I had fisheyes in my test pattern. I am pretty sure that the problem is coming from the gun. I mixed my paint in a plastic mixing cup that I bought from Lowe's. It has been sitting on my shelf for quite a while. I mixed the paint with a wooden stirring stick from Lowe's as well. I am betting that I am getting contamination from one of those two places.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Last photo:

Could very well be, it doesn't take much silicone or other contaminate to produce fish-eyes.

Vince
Old 05-01-2010, 04:09 PM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpsyclonex2002
I am pretty sure that the problem is coming from the gun.
I have my shop divided into 2 airlines. One for paint/body one for working with other air tools. The paint and body side have no oilers and I never oil my paint and body tools. I also use a line drier. Not saying you do but was just a thought.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:37 PM

Last journal entry: Box is back on the truck
Last photo:

If you can't find the problem fish eye eliminator will help until you do find the culprit, like I said we had to go through the entire 45 gallon drum of gun wash. We changed air lines and all sorts of stuff, even thought it was from cars coming in that had Armorial in the interior but once we got a new drum of gun wash the problem went away.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.