Fix engine or buy crate - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fix engine or buy crate

Some of you may have broken rocker stud thread.

So I pulled the head.

PO told me that he engine was in spec so it was just honed and new rings, and bearings added. I drove it 300 miles before that rocker started to knock.

Here is what I have

Head Gasket between 2 and 4

Head gasket between 4 and 6 (possibly blown ?)

Exhaust valve closeups not sure if these have hardened seats I am taking it in monday

Bore

My plan was if the machine shop guys said these head was shot or needed 400 dollars of work to be right, I would just the vortec heads

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-151124/

and new intake

but now looking at the bottom end it looks like it has alot more then 300 miles and it pretty dirty, and maybe not flat(based on the gasket. Now I am not sure if it even worth putting heads on this engine

Now I am considering just getting this engine and swapping over my current performer intake and 1406

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-10067353/

I looked a the 350/290, but it makes all its power up high.

This engine is in 1972 Scout II, so I need torque down low.

Ideas suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 08:16 PM

Buying a crate motor is a great option for a cheaper budget. You can swap the cam and possibly rockers to get that low end torque and power at low rpms. If
I was gonna build a pretty stock motor but with a few performance goodies for some low end torque I would get a crate motor and swap the cam and rockers.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:34 PM

Last photo:

I would shop around for a crate motor. I just built an engine that cost me about $3000, the next rime around I will be buying a crate and not dealing with all the work. I would go ahead and buy the crate you listed and be happy. Plus a warranty is nice. A friend of mine used the 350/290 in his monte carlo. He had a bad leak at the back of the intake and ran it low on oil. He ended up spinning a bearing. He had about 2k miles on the engine. Our local GM dealer gave him no issues and replaced the engine free of charge.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:04 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

When I added up the dollars to do either a 302 or 351W Ford using engines I already had vs a crate motor, it became hands down the crate. The engine came from Summit and was a new 5.0 with GT40P heads and was less then $1500 shipped. Of course I've added some performance and dress up items to that engine, but they would have been on any other that I had built from a core. My total for the engine, the way it currently sits in the car - a bit less then $3000. I had built a few other SB Fords previously, and starting with a good donor block and heads, was always in excess of $3000 in the assembly of 1970-1990s dollars. And that was for only a mid level street performer.

Go with the crate - but that's only my opinion

Dave W
Old 01-04-2011, 11:32 AM

Last photo:

I was looking at these guys

http://www.motorworksengines.com/

The have a local subsidiary

http://www.westcoastengines.com/main-page

Whats nice is they will work with me to install a 4x4 oriented cam, and vortec heads on a 69 block so I can keep my fuel pump. This way I dont have to tear down my brand new long block

I can find much on them, but the guy I talked to on phone seem knowledgeable
Old 01-05-2011, 12:04 PM

Last photo:

Called MotorWorks this morning

Said they do a max .040 overbore on blocks
Max .020 on cranks

Would do a torque oriented cam and work with me to get the power where I want it in the RPM range

They use silvolite flat top pistons, and the stock style heads 76cc to get the ratio around 9:1

All parts are new except for castings (head/Block) cranks and rods

275 dollar core charge

99 dollar shipping to my door and free pickup of the core when I am ready

1250 for this setup.

I asked about using vortec heads, he said he could do it for 150 but would put the compression ratio at the limit of pump gas
Old 01-05-2011, 12:16 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972scoutII
Called MotorWorks this morning

Said they do a max .040 overbore on blocks
Max .020 on cranks

Would do a torque oriented cam and work with me to get the power where I want it in the RPM range

They use silvolite flat top pistons, and the stock style heads 76cc to get the ratio around 9:1

All parts are new except for castings (head/Block) cranks and rods

275 dollar core charge

99 dollar shipping to my door and free pickup of the core when I am ready

1250 for this setup.

I asked about using vortec heads, he said he could do it for 150 but would put the compression ratio at the limit of pump gas
Are they the ones located in Sacramento? They've been advertising alot on Craigslist lately under Los Angeles so I've always been mildly curious about the quality and rep. Please do share your experience if you decide to buy from them. Their Chevy 350 special for $999 with warranty looks bueno.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I wouldn't bother with a rebuilt engine, that is not a crate engine.. 76cc heads means very little, as there are several castings for 76cc heads and some ( like 882's ) are junk..]

buy the GM goodwrench 260/350 and put the cam of your choice in it.. a summit cam kit is in the $80 range for what you want. if you want vortech heads, you can buy a new assembled set from summit for $600. they will bump the compression up to 9:1 I think
Old 01-05-2011, 02:15 PM

Last photo:

The title should be reman, crate, or rebuild

I do like the 350/260 for the warranty and fair price. Its not the cost of the cam, its tearing apart a brand new engine to put it in, and also likely voiding the warranty. Whats the point of buying a GM for the good warranty and tearing it apart.

I dont need a high flowing head to meet my torque goals at low rpm, this engine probably never will see 5k rpms in its life
Old 01-05-2011, 03:08 PM

Last photo:

Motorworks is out of Spokane Washington. West Coast Engines in in Sacramento, and sales Motorworks Remans.

The discussion I had was with Motorworks directly, I confirmed with motorworks West Coast Engines sells thier engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
Are they the ones located in Sacramento? They've been advertising alot on Craigslist lately under Los Angeles so I've always been mildly curious about the quality and rep. Please do share your experience if you decide to buy from them. Their Chevy 350 special for $999 with warranty looks bueno.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:11 PM

Take a look at the 285HP crate engine from Sallee Chevrolet. Its the 350/260HP engine with a cam upgrade. Based on the description, it looks like you retain the 3 year GM warranty on the long block.

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Chev...V8s/gen350.cfm

Bruce
Old 01-05-2011, 07:27 PM

Last photo:

Interesting I can never find the prices on that site, but that cam is kinda split between towing an performance, better then the one in the 350/290 that makes all its power at 5500 rpms

This is a an option though depending on price nice find
Old 01-05-2011, 07:31 PM

Last photo:

Pace Pontiac/Pace Performance sells a 350/300 HP version. It's the Goodwrench 350 with a cam change to the cam used in the 350HO 330 HP and the 350/350HP circle track crate engines. This deal is $100 cheaper than the 350CI/290HP crate engine, with a better cam (my opinion) and an Edelbrock Performer EPS manifod. Or $180 cheaper without the manifold, but still a better cam with more HP.

$1899.95 with a Performer EPS manifold: http://paceperformance.com/i-5146377...te-engine.html

$1819.95 without manifold: http://paceperformance.com/i-6237688...no-intake.html

Last edited by BigEd36; 01-05-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:37 PM

Last photo:

That looks like a nice setup

I think that cam in that engine is a little more aggressive then the cam that Motorworks is going to use

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-cl-mtc-1/

at 1960 shipped it quite a bit more expensive since the other one is 1250 shipped

so around 700, but with the GM you get to keep the core so maybe get 250 for it

I think GM you get 12 month warranty with home install with motorworks you get 3/36 with home install
Old 01-05-2011, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972scoutII
That looks like a nice setup

I think that cam in that engine is a little more aggressive then the cam that Motorworks is going to use

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-cl-mtc-1/

at 1960 shipped it quite a bit more expensive since the other one is 1250 shipped

so around 700, but with the GM you get to keep the core so maybe get 250 for it

I think GM you get 12 month warranty with home install with motorworks you get 3/36 with home install
Here's the specs on the cam in the Pace Pac engine, it's definitely a step up from the specs on the cam from Motorworks.

Quote:
Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft Intake, Lift-.443" Exhaust Lift-.465" Intake Duration @ .050"- 214 Exhaust Duration @.050"- 224 Lobe Seperation-112. This cam has a mechanical Fuel Pump Lobe.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.