Fixin time again BUT!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fixin time again BUT!!

Fixing another wee problem on my el camino soon. Found out a while back that my headers are rubbing up against the control arm bracket mounts, the non moving part. It will probably rub a hole in my headers pretty soon but I'm going to have to pull the headers to notch a tiny bit out of the end of the bracket since I couldn't get in there with a cutting wheel and I already tried heating up the exhaust and bending it slightly but it just started to kink the pipes in so I just stopped. I'm pretty sure it wont compromise the strength of it if I notch a bit off.

Anyway, I wanted to do something a lil fun with my exhaust while I'm taking care of this lil issue. I want to put exhaust cut outs on there and I don't want to fork over 500 bucks for an electric one. I've seen plenty of wing nut cutouts where you go under the car and unscrew it, lil bit of loud fun But I have seen cable operated ones from Mr. Gasket but can't find ones for 2 1/2" exhaust systems. If anyone can help me out with a link for a cable operated 2 1/2" cutout, that'd be great because I've been searching for quite some time and I doubt there is one but could be wrong.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

Other members have previously commented that those things leak like crazy.

Back in the early 60's guys used to weld short pipes with caps off their exhaust pipes that exited behind the rear of the front wheels. Essentially, all you had to do was to unbolt/unscrew the caps by stooping down by the front tire.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI2600

Back in the early 60's guys used to weld short pipes with caps off their exhaust pipes that exited behind the rear of the front wheels. Essentially, all you had to do was to unbolt/unscrew the caps by stooping down by the front tire.

This presumes, however, that you wait about 25 minutes after the car has been shut down to unscrew the exhaust baffles... that is unless you really like the smell of burning flesh!

K
Old 04-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI2600

Yea I think I heard that too on this site about the leaking problem they have but I don't think they have any for a 2 1/2" exhaust so I guess I'm outta luck But that is a cool idea having it exit behind the front wheels. I could modify mine a bit by cutting off the flange end of it and welding on a a little bit more pipe to get it to stick out just where I want it so I won't have to crawl under the car to unbolt the wing nuts. Aww killer, but I loveee the smell of burnt skin! Not exactly a smell you want sticking around with you, it's not that pleasant

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.