fixing clear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 06:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

fixing clear

my '98 buick regal (with factory base/clear) was hit by several of our roof shingles in a nasty windstorm.. the shingles have made a huge mess of the clear coat. (May have hit the base coat too, I don't know)

I'm wondering what's the best approach to repair this? it doesn't have to be a show car quality job, but i'd like to 'hide' the damage a bit better.

should I lay some clear down first, then wet-sand? or just take my chances wet sanding first? I'm guessing I would start with 800 and work my way up from there.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

Depending on how much clear you have on there, you might be able to wetsand and buff it out.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

If it can't be wet sanded out, hit it with 400 grit sandpaper and "re-clear" it
Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 PM

Last photo:

alright guys.. thanks for the tips. as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer, I'd like to tackle that..

i should have a shop fix it. .and send the roofing company the bill.....
Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

figure out how deep it is first. If you look at it really closely you can tell. Get a magnified glass. If it hasn't penetrated the clear you can rub it for a second with some 1500 and buff it back. Just don't rub on areas that go thru the clear. So find out which ones are and which ones aren't. So lightly sand and rub the ones that didn't go thru

I'm assuming it didn't get past the base by your post so if a few spots did you can lightly sand that area with 800-1500, mix a squirt of clear with hardener, dab it in there and let it dry for a week. then hit it with 1500 and buff out. This also works when it goes PAST your basecoat if it's small cause the metallic flakes will reflect light in different angles and it will kind of disappear. This is also under the assumption it's thin like a normal scratch and not wide, but then again if it were wide you'd probably be telling us it went thru the clear.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

On factory finishes the clear is not very thick to start with, I would be concerned about the shingles having broken through the OEM clear coat.

Several questions...Is it a solid color or a metallic color, dark or light? In the areas that the shingles hit the car, have you looked closely for any body damage, small dents, gouges etc? The reason I ask is that if there are dents and you apply clear, any dents may be more noticeable after a panel is re-cleared than it is now (I understand that you mentioned it didn't need to be perfect but it might be worth looking at). What areas of the vehicle are effected, hood, roof, deck lid, doors? Would it be possible to take pictures and post them?

Ray
Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I would cut and rub it first then decide if I like how it looks. This is of course after knowing which scuff penetrated clear and which didn't. You probably have a couple areas that did go past clear, and wide track is right, the factory clear isn't that thick. No need to make plans for a repaint til you give yourself the chance to see how it can look with a little buffing. shops do this on slight imperfections that are borderlined on either buffing it out or repainting. you might be surprised how easily it can be buffed out.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

imagine taking a piece of 40 grit or coarser sand paper and pulling it across the clear. .that's the kind of damage that's been done.. it was caused by an asphalt roofing shingle hitting the car at high speed then sliding off..
I can feel the scratches...
Old 04-03-2013, 11:21 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

yeah, sounds like a repaint. I was thinking by your original post that it was just scuffs.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Yes, it does sound like a paint job is in order, with OEM paint all you would need to do is show it a piece of 40 grit and your down to the base coat.

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.