fixing clutch chatter, everything is apart, what can I reuse? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 11:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

fixing clutch chatter, everything is apart, what can I reuse?

well I developed clutch chatter in my 4 speed 67 camaro about a year ago and I'm taking the tired 350 out for a 454. I got the new "used" flywheel and my old clutch disc and pressure plate match up perfectly to the 454 flywheel. The trans is a borg warner super t10.

My question is should I just get the 454 flywheel resurfaced and use the old disc and pressure plate? I plan on selling the car soon and would like to avoid not spending money on new parts if I don't have to.

here is a picture of the old flywheel that had clutch chatter

old pressure plate

old disc

as you can see there is plenty of life left on this clutch

I dont have a picture of the newer flywheel but it looks better than the old flywheel that experienced clutch chatter....but i'm going to have it resurfaced anyway. Also the pilot bushing in the old motor was a little chewed up and there will be a new one in the 454. What do you guys think I should do?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

Get the flywheel resurfaced and have it checked for heat cracks. Then put in new clutch/pressure plate. If you go with new, you should not have any problems.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Once they chatter you are up for a new/rebuilt clutch and pressure plate i have found..replace the throwout bearing as well..If you try and sell the car a chattering clutch will ruin a sale..

Sam
Old 11-04-2008, 03:57 PM

Last photo:

Just make sure your mounts are all good and you don't have any bushings sloppy in the rear.....alot of times even new clutch parts won't do any good if you have something worn and allowing the drivetrain to move around....even slightly, as you release the clutch.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:02 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

If you look at the heat pattern on the pressure plate, it must have high spots...it is no good IMO

After you bolt up the flywheel, borrow a dial indicator to check to see if the flywheel face is running true. I just did a chatter job on a SBC that had a slightly bent crank.

If you can't borrow an indicator;

Just make some sort of hefty steel Z bracket bolted to the block and just about touching the face. Then keep checking the gap with feeler gauges as you rotate the flywheel a little at a time. It's crude but it will work.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Helmar

Last journal entry: Engine
Last photo:

Flywheel , clutch and pressure plate.

Well, I would have the flywheel ground and then replace the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. Oh, pilot bushing or bearing too.
If any cracking on the flywheel, use it to make a stand out of it to hold up your grinder or something. I have seen pictures when they explode.

Like some of the other say, check to assure nothing noticeably loose to let the drive train move around.
Might just get her up on a rack/lift and use a crow bar to see if anything is loose.

Its been awhile since I have checked but on GM, I found it was less expensive to buy a New Clutch and pressure plate from the GM dealer.
Might just make the phone call.
I used to keep the 11" clutch and pressure plate part numbers in my old Motors Manual.

Really, it could have been a bunch of simple reasons it started slipping, chattering. Anything to being driven though a large puddle to over greasing the throwout bearing and getting a taste of grease on them.

I would just shake it down with the crow bar and put her back together right. You sure as hell don't want this to come back on you. No one wants a crap job so do it right.

Just my opinion.
HJ
Old 11-04-2008, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

Years ago, in my Nova, I installed a "new" rebuilt clutch disc that chattered like all getout. I took it back and got another one and it did the same. I figured the springs in the hub section were weak. A new GM disc cured the problem.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Helmar

Last journal entry: Engine
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco
Years ago, in my Nova, I installed a "new" rebuilt clutch disc that chattered like all getout. I took it back and got another one and it did the same. I figured the springs in the hub section were weak. A new GM disc cured the problem.
I agree with you on the clutch disc.
That could have been the problem from the start, you never know.
HJ

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.