Fixing to do some filler work need some block sanders...... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2006, 11:27 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Fixing to do some filler work need some block sanders......

I'm needing some block sanders, I've seen the ones in Eastwood with the rods to adjust flexibility they're nice but a little pricey. The Dura-blocks are more my price range but they don't seem to come in long lengths, i'm working on a 69 Camaro what would be the longest length block I would need..?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
I have to tell you, I own a lot of blocks, I do this stuff for a living. I may have a bunch of blocks, but I use about four of them for 90% of my work. A 17" "Long board" made by Hutchins (very high quality) or an "EEZER" brand is very nice too. A 9" and 5" rubber block by 3M and you are there.

A smooth rad hose about eight inches long and take a 5" rubber block and cut it a little off center to make two blocks, one about an inch wide and the other about two inches wide are VERY useful.

Lots of people like the long adjustable blocks, I have not tried them so I can't say. But I have found that the 17" long block is used properly is all you need for those super long panels. Being there is NO such thing as a "flat" panel, they all have a convex shape. So what good is a three foot long "block" when the three foot long area on the panel isn't "flat" anyway?

Brian
Old 06-10-2006, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the reply MARTNISR, i'm looking at a couple of Dura-BLocks at AutobodyDepot.com, do you think i'll be alright with a 24in, 11in tubular, 8.5in blocks...?
Old 06-11-2006, 01:03 PM

I have the adjustable flex sanders as seen on Eastwoods. I love 'em!!
I do collision repair and showed those sanders to a few "trusted" guys in the shop. Those guys are always coming over and using those sanders. One of the painters went out and bought a few the flex sanders after I let him borrow it.
They might look like a gimmick but yet they are far from it. They really do what the ads say, they make for faster work and straighter work.
But I realize not everyone can afford those sanders. The hutchins block that Brian mentioned is a darn good sander as well as the 3M 9in and 5in
Home depot is a great source for sanding blocks. I needed a nice rounded block and bought a piece of hose 2ft long for 3 bucks
Old 06-11-2006, 01:16 PM

Last photo:

Why don't more people buy this?

half round sander
Here's a half round sander with a hard rubber base, a nice handle, and strong spring clips to hold the sandpaper.
Why do people use home made sanders when you can get a purpose built block that makes it so easy to hold onto the board and sand?
I am as cheap as anybody, but this sander is so easy to use, I wouldn't consider using other things. BTW Hutchins makes a sander with a broader radius which is better than this one.
PS the other pics are for your entertainment only .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hut5510c.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	12724  
Attached Images

Last edited by scrot; 06-11-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrot
[URL
I am as cheap as anybody, but this sander is so easy to use, I wouldn't consider using other things. .
==============================================

I thought that was why you used the "Tolet Bowl cleaner"
Because it cost a $1 instead of $10/
Old 06-11-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrot
Why do people use Mickey Mouse home made sanders when you can get a purpose built block that makes it so easy to hold onto the board and sand?
Because many times those purpose built blocks dont fit the needs of the car.
I also have a nice collection of door side mouldings that I use. I get them for FREE at work and each one has a different shape to it. Dodge has some of the best mouldings! Some have a nice tight round shape were others have a large gentle sloping shape.
3M, hutchins, AFS and who ever dont make every shape and contour you need, thats why you need those Mickey Mouse home made sanders
Old 06-11-2006, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle
Because many times those purpose built blocks dont fit the needs of the car.
I also have a nice collection of door side mouldings that I use. I get them for FREE at work and each one has a different shape to it. Dodge has some of the best mouldings! Some have a nice tight round shape were others have a large gentle sloping shape.
3M, hutchins, AFS and who ever dont make every shape and contour you need, thats why you need those Mickey Mouse home made sanders
===============================================
That is exactly right!
I see no real use for the pictured one, Never seen a 30" one that I made years ago for old quarters either,
Old 06-11-2006, 02:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I also have a nice collection of door side moldings that I use. I get them for FREE at work and each one has a different shape to it.
Sevt, that's a good idea. I can see that you'll get a lot of different contours to fit your needs.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.