Fixing epoxy primer runs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 08:22 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fixing epoxy primer runs

Is it necessary to sand the runs of an epoxy primer before applying 2k urethane surfacer? It's a fiberglass panel and I'm using SPI paints. If it is, what do you recommend...220 on a long board? and then the 2k primer? Also if I do need to sand out the runs, do I have to re-prime w/epoxy and let it sit another night or can i apply the 2k primer

Advertisement

Last edited by CJ Runner; 10-24-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 09:11 AM

Last photo:

After it sets overnight or 10-12 hours, just take some 180 dry and sand the run level, no need to use a block since you are using a 2k primer over it and blocking that and less likely you will break through using the block and need to re-epoxy.

Once sanded, tack off and shoot the primer.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,119 Times in 995 Posts
I am not sure what you mean Barry you said "no need to use a block since you are using a 2k primer over it and blocking that and less likely you will break through using the block and need to re-epoxy"

So it says "no need" to use the block and then it is "less likely you will break thru using the block"?

I vote for using the block. If you cut JUST THE RUN with the block you can thin it down to the surrounding areas so you don't cut thru the epoxy and need to re-epoxy it. If you simply "sand the runs out" you will be sanding the surrounding epoxy too and sand thru. The block allows you to ONLY sand the run. Just run the block on top of the runs and don't hit the surrounding area.

If this is over bare metal and you cut thru, you are going to need to re-epoxy anyway so I recommend you cut the run completely off at that time. The run is a very large build up of material, if you leave it there you will have to be dealing with it when you block the "Filler primer". So you might as well sand it gone, this is IF you need to re-epoxy anyway. If you carefully cut the run with a block you won't need to because you won't cut thru the surrounding primer.

Of course being bare metal would make it easy. If it is plastic filler or something under that run I would still say to cut the run completely off using a block so you have a nice smooth surface to apply your filler primer. As Barry said if it isn't perfect, so what you are blocking the filler primer anyway and I agree to a point. If you can correct it now so that you don't later cut thru your filler primer you can do that as well.

Brian
Old 10-24-2010, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the tips guys. Brian, to answer your question, it is fiberglass I'm working with.

I was just out there filling the pinholes with evercoat filler. Some of the pin holes were next to the runs so I used 150 on a foam block which seemed to level the runs and the filler so I tried that anywhere I had a run (it was cold yesterday and I didn't turn my pressure up enough in my gun is what I'm guessing). Anyway, I broke through the primer in a couple spots. Do I need to epoxy it or can I use the 2k since I"ll be using the epoxy as a sealer after I block the 2k?
Old 10-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,119 Times in 995 Posts
It sounds like you have a little more work to do before you are final surface prime ready. You need to hear from Barry on this but I am thinking the sealing off of that fiberglass with the epoxy is something he would want you to do before the filler primer is applied.

Brian
Old 10-24-2010, 04:04 PM

Last photo:

I agree with Brian.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.