fixing a taco'd decklid and putting on decklid hinges. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013, 11:27 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

fixing a taco'd decklid and putting on decklid hinges.

when you prepare a car for quarters you take out the rear seats, rear glass and sometimes regulator, line up the doors to your quarter and rocker, and line up the decklid to the quarters. This car was much more. The decklid hinges were worn and threw off the alignment.

All the holes were worn out and even this area where the spring rested. I wanted to tack on some washers but the customer didn't want to pay for it.The other side was bent as well but I hammered it straight.

look, a way to identify which side is which!

install your hinges with greased up pins, then bend down the tab that holds the pin in place.

then connect it to the spring. There's nothing scary at this point cause you haven't created tension on the spring yet.

if this were a showcar there would be 4 rolls of tape on that pry bar. This angle seems to always work when installing them. When I install them I wear gloves, goggles, and I make sure nothing is in the area that can get scratched or break.

to take these springs off it's a little different. I'll usually throw a big blanket on the floor and may try something like this and just un-hook it and let it go sort of speak.

So as I was waiting for this hinge to arrive in the mail the deck lid was put into a trailer that was later stolen and recovered. The decklid was heavily taco'd by a rolling chassy that wasn't tied down in the trailer. We were
willing to get a new deck lid but I wanted to give it the ol' college try before it came to that. The decklid was taco'd and in by over 1".

First I need to know where the decklid needs to be.

Roughly 3/16" off the edge (your gap)

this is where the bottom of the decklid should meet

now let's push off of the hinge mounted to the L/R side

Let's work out the bows while the pressure is applied, working the damage out properly.

let's check our progress!

fits like a glove.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
John long (10-19-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,124 Times in 998 Posts
That's a repro hinge huh? How did it fit? And how in the world did you get the springs back in? We have a Chevelle at the shop and I was "helping" the guy get the springs in the other day, we gave up, need another look at it after some time clearing our heads. What a MUTHA, there has to be a trick but I couldn't come up with it. I like your clamping the wood on the lid, good going.

Brian
Old 10-19-2013, 12:56 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

a pry bar always seems to work well for that. if you look at the pic with the pry bar under the spring it pretty much shows you what I had to do to get it on there. The scary part about having your pry bar situated that way is that your BODY is right in the line of fire if the spring wins, but you have so much control from that angle it's not an issue. Getting them off I keep my body steered clear and away from it. They can be a pain. The aftermarket hinge fits fine but as expected it wasn't sitting flush til I tinkered with it. Fixing that decklid I just borrowed some ideas I use when fixing a rear body panel and getting a trunk to close, but instead of fixing the hole I'm fixing the decklid. I just thought I'd share that cause none of us thought the damage would come out as easy as it did.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

here's the hinge I just put on. It needed more than just a hinge.

The problem was part of the spring was binding right here when closing the decklid.

when the decklid closes it pushes on the spring and rotates. During it's rotation it was hitting the corner of the box. This is what it looked like after I knocked it out with a slide hammer.

I fixed the box, tossed on the extra hinge we had and it wasn't binding at all and closed a lot smoother. Learn something everyday. So if you feel a slight bind at a certain point when closing your decklid I'd definitely check for that. I fixed it by strengthening the worn out holes and took a slide hammer to the side that was binding. Just pulled it away from the bend in the spring to give more clearance when it rotates as you shut the decklid. I notice that clicking noise/feeling you get when closing decklids on a lot Chevy's. I'm thinking it might be a common issue.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
That's a repro hinge huh? How did it fit? And how in the world did you get the springs back in? We have a Chevelle at the shop and I was "helping" the guy get the springs in the other day, we gave up, need another look at it after some time clearing our heads. What a MUTHA, there has to be a trick but I couldn't come up with it. I like your clamping the wood on the lid, good going.

Brian
Brian, I was shocked at you, cause you always have the easiest and safest way of doing things. I have used your tricks several times, thank you.

For the torsion rods it just takes a short pipe on the end of one to remove or install, then the other. The smaller the hole in the pipe the better, as long as it still fits on the rod.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:11 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I'll try the pipe. Good idea. The crowbar has never failed me though. I'd also like to state back on the subject of boxes and rear hinges, If you shift your hinges on the lid to get a little more gap but to keep your gap with your upper rear body panel you are shifting your hinges to one side and may be directing your rod to hit an edge that's in. This is all good stuff to know.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

What works good in removing those springs is a 1/4 inch drive deep socket attached to a screwdriver handle drive, like Chevymon says the smaller the hole the better for a tighter fit.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,124 Times in 998 Posts
I just found out those springs weren't installed on that Chevelle so I will have another go at it. I will need to get another look because I didn't see how the pipe could even be used as it needed to be twisted AND stuffed in there at the same time, didn't seem like that would work. But I will do some research on exactly where the springs go, being the guy took the one spring it had out, I didn't see it in there and I may be mistaken on how it fits in there.

Brian
Old 10-23-2013, 11:49 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

those hinges will probably be exactly like The Impala's but the box around it may be different. It'll probably have some sort of hook to keep it still as you twist it. If you have a cheater bar try that, or a pry bar, maybe some vise grips.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.