Fixing warped door panels - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011, 12:33 PM

Last journal entry: Long time no journal entry, pulled hood tonight.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fixing warped door panels

The drivers door on my 68 caddy is warped from water leakage. It is/looks to be some sort of partical board type material. I was wondering if there was any way to repair this warping. Maybe soaking it and then putting some weight on it to press it flat. The other panels are ok, at least no warpage. They all need recovered, but I got to get the drivers door fixed before I can start on that.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

You can't fix the original door panel once it is warped, you will need to replace the bad section. The top of the door panel is curved metal, and the bottom of the door panel is attached to the metal. You can use waterproof panel board or PVC foamboard to make the new door panel out of.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I just scored some used '67 Mustang "Deluxe" door panels. Like all the ones I've seen, they are quite bowed. I suspect the bowing on these particular ones is caused more by the vinyl covering shrinking over the years more than moisture. The ones I have show no signs of water staining like other panels I've seen. I already had some pretty scruffy panels like these so I dissected one. Which worked pretty well and leads me to believe I can make some new boards for the good panels to restore them to usability.
Might there be a local source for boards like these? Home Depot, Ace hardware, or something? I confess not to have looked yet. I measure mine at 5/16" thick, just plain flat boards, textured on the back sides. I'm not adverse to upgrading to plastic but wonder how well the mentioned foamboard would hold up to door panel removal. The retainer clips are way overkill strong on these things and I KNOW I will have to remove the panels again at some point.
New panels are available at about $100 each. Word is they are thicker than original which makes the stainless trim a bear to install. The ones I have will work fine for me, once I get the warp out. I considered swapping them since they are mirror image but I'd have to come up with a way to repair a lot of torn out retainer clip holes.
So, any chances of local sources? Or would I be better off ordering some ABS or styrene sheet? I'm around Greenville, SC if there are any known specialty vendors nearby.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpoet
The drivers door on my 68 caddy is warped from water leakage. It is/looks to be some sort of partical board type material. I was wondering if there was any way to repair this warping. Maybe soaking it and then putting some weight on it to press it flat. The other panels are ok, at least no warpage. They all need recovered, but I got to get the drivers door fixed before I can start on that.
Are you trying to restore these or are you customizing them?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR
I just scored some used '67 Mustang "Deluxe" door panels. Like all the ones I've seen, they are quite bowed. I suspect the bowing on these particular ones is caused more by the vinyl covering shrinking over the years more than moisture. The ones I have show no signs of water staining like other panels I've seen. I already had some pretty scruffy panels like these so I dissected one. Which worked pretty well and leads me to believe I can make some new boards for the good panels to restore them to usability.
Might there be a local source for boards like these? Home Depot, Ace hardware, or something? I confess not to have looked yet. I measure mine at 5/16" thick, just plain flat boards, textured on the back sides. I'm not adverse to upgrading to plastic but wonder how well the mentioned foamboard would hold up to door panel removal. The retainer clips are way overkill strong on these things and I KNOW I will have to remove the panels again at some point.
New panels are available at about $100 each. Word is they are thicker than original which makes the stainless trim a bear to install. The ones I have will work fine for me, once I get the warp out. I considered swapping them since they are mirror image but I'd have to come up with a way to repair a lot of torn out retainer clip holes.
So, any chances of local sources? Or would I be better off ordering some ABS or styrene sheet? I'm around Greenville, SC if there are any known specialty vendors nearby.
Specialty vendors of what? Those old door panels were made from a Masonite type product, which you have found warps over time from moisture, which can come from humidity, not necessarily from being wet. If what you have is 5/16" thick now, it probably started out as 1/4". There is no way that the vinyl covering would cause them to warp by shrinking. If you want ABS to make the new panels from, it is available online from U.S. Plastics:
CLICK HERE A 4' by 8' sheet in black is $68 plus shipping, which will have to be by truck. Or, you can look for local plastic suppliers and pick it up yourself.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:58 PM

Eh, local vendors of ABS sheets and such so I don't have to truck ship a four by eight foot sheet of plastic when I only need four square feet? IE, could anybody save me thumbing yellow pages only to find people who have no interest in selling single sheets. Which I've run into trying to source other stuff.
"If what you have is 5/16" thick now, it probably started out as 1/4"." If I used 1/4" thick board the stainless edge trim would fall right back off. No need to verify with my digital micrometer I think.
"There is no way that the vinyl covering would cause them to warp by shrinking" Umm... OK.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

No, the vinyl "shrinking" on the surface of the panel will not cause the panel board to warp. It can't shrink that much, and even if it did it couldn't generate enough force, the vinyl would just split.

You're the one who brought up the ABS, when everyone in the trade is using PVC foamboard to make their panels out of. The reason everybody uses it is because it's cheaper, easier to work with, lighter weight, and is more readily available. Most sign shops carry it, and it's also available online, at upholstery supply places, and at plastic suppliers.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:28 AM

I metioned ABS because of another thread here discussing the merits of PVC versus ABS, masonite, etc.
That sign shops might have foamboard I can check out is helpful info. I have my doubts about some materials being rigid enough to support this style of heavy door panel, particularly since I'm trying to "unwarp" mine. It'd be nice to be able to look at stuff instead ordering blind.
What I am working with:
http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/92...door_panel.jpg

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.