Hot Rod Forum banner

Fixing Warped Panel and Pin Holes

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  2old2fast 
#1 ·
Need help/advice repairing a warped panel from a repair by a previous owner. Hard to see the warped panel in the pictures but can see the shaded areas by the wooden stick. A patch panel was welded in with an arc welder and it warped the panel above. I plan on cutting out the old patch and creating a new patch. Haven't ever dealt with a warped panel before. Do you think the warp panel will level out when the old patch is cut out or am I out of luck here. What is the best approach??????

Second issue is with a few rust pin holes. Some are on top by the trunk and a few are around the front pillar by the windshield. I can see the underside by the trunk lid and see it is solid except where the pin holes are, can't see into the front pillar. It almost seems that maybe it's rusted from the outside, like maybe a rock chip 75 years ago and rusted from there (hopefully). Was thinking about just migging shut. Could blow out bigger hole then just cut out area and weld in a patch. I'm use to seeing rust from the inside out not outside in if possible.

Oh, car is a 1940 Plymouth coupe and yes I sandblasted and ospho the outside. And yes I wiped down with paper towels. Plan on recoating with ospho and rinsing with water when the time comes to epoxy (SPI).

Have a great day,
Bob

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd cut the patch out and deal with the warpage while its out. Shouldn't be too awful to straighten from what I can see, I think most of it will relax when you cut the thick part away. On the holes, hard to tell if you already used a pick to find those thin spots. Kinda looks like you did. If thats all there is, yeah they should MIG shut with a normal amount of drama. Just one man's opinion and the pics are kinda out of focus. If you're using a camera not a phone, experiment with the setting with the flower icon. That usually gets them to focus on the closer object.

#6 ·
I've had pretty good luck w/ heat&quench shrinking on warped flat panels , the pin holes I'd braze. Before all the hollering starts about paint/filler not sticking to braze , I have an 84 GMC 1-ton in my driveway that I spot brazed new homemade 20 ga. galvanized rocker panels on 20 + years ago that look as good as the day I painted them , the key is cleaning ALL the flux off...
dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.