Flakes In Clear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2005, 07:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Flakes In Clear

Does anyone have pics of thier car w/a paint job using pearl flakes mixed in w/the clear? I want to see how it looks. I want it to be a pretty dramatic difference in sunlight. I am going candy apple red w/gold flakes. Is mixing the flakes in w/the clear the best method to see a good colorshift in sun? Also what would laying down a base of gold before the red do? I was told that may help also.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
I have to tell you guy, you have a lot of work to do. Buy some candy, some flake, and a few different bases and SPRAY IT. Get a thrown away fender at a local body shop and mask it off in sections and using as many different techniques as you can SPRAY IT .

There is NO computer monitor that is going to give you any idea of what this stuff will look like out in the sun with your own eyes.

First off let me say I am no custom painter, there are some who visit this forum and they may have more direct answers for you, I don't know. But I have shot enough custom paint to know, the base MAKES your candy color. Sure a gold may look good under the candy, but it may not be what you want. Have you seen the HOK chip book? There are samples there of the different candies (Kandies) over different bases. The different bases WILL produce a pretty dramatic difference in the final color.

If you want a REAL flaky look, you would apply a very flaky base as well.

If you want flake over the candy, it is usually applied in a first coat of clear then clear without any flake is applied over that for the most dramatic effect. PLUS, you can't have flake in the final coat if you plan on cutting and buffing it because you will expose flakes when the chear is sanded.

My suggestion is to SPRAY IT OUT! One of the funest things with custom paint is to see the different effects from just a slightly different technique.

Brian
Old 06-19-2005, 10:51 AM

Last journal entry: metal finish

There is no need to put gold flake over a candy job.. if its real candy and u want bigger flakes then put it under the candy.. if its not a real candy that u are shooting and just a metallic or pearl red then put it over them if you want.. but there is no need for it over top of the candy... candy red from some angles throws off a goldish color....heres an m-coupe i painted candy red with a silver base and it still throws off a little gold.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:34 AM
WrenchingAce

I am NOT a body and paint guy but this is what happened to me...I wanted my car to be white with Cherry red metallic stripes. I also wanted a lot of "pop" in the paint so when I had it painted I put gold flake in the clear. Well, it turned my stripes from cherry red to a rust color. It still looks good but I really wanted cherry red. If I could do it over I would definitly leave the gold flake out.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemdubya
There is no need to put gold flake over a candy job.. if its real candy and u want bigger flakes then put it under the candy.. if its not a real candy that u are shooting and just a metallic or pearl red then put it over them if you want.. but there is no need for it over top of the candy... candy red from some angles throws off a goldish color....heres an m-coupe i painted candy red with a silver base and it still throws off a little gold.
Like I said, I am no custom painter, but I have seen many cars with flake in the clear over the candy. It really depends on what the owner wants, what "effect" is he after?

Now, as I said there is no way you can see what a particular effect is going to look like in person by seeing it on a computer monitor. Beembubya, as far as I can see on my HP monitor viewing over AOL I couldn't tell if that is the most beautiful, vibrant candy or a simple single stage OMNI! I have seen enough paint to be pretty sure it is a candy, but I certainly can't tell by that photo sitting on my monitor the quality of the application or vibrance of the color.

Brian
Old 06-19-2005, 01:23 PM

Last journal entry: metal finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Like I said, I am no custom painter, but I have seen many cars with flake in the clear over the candy. It really depends on what the owner wants, what "effect" is he after?

Now, as I said there is no way you can see what a particular effect is going to look like in person by seeing it on a computer monitor. Beembubya, as far as I can see on my HP monitor viewing over AOL I couldn't tell if that is the most beautiful, vibrant candy or a simple single stage OMNI! I have seen enough paint to be pretty sure it is a candy, but I certainly can't tell by that photo sitting on my monitor the quality of the application or vibrance of the color.

Brian
HAHA, yeah. but on my monitor looks like it has a gold shien to it.. ur def right on the monitor not showing the right color... joeguz your best bet is to experiment.. first thing i would do is spray a gold base (hok zenith gold if using hok) then mix the flakes into some intercoat clear shoot a coat or two then spray ur kandy then clear.. flake on top is going to kill the while kandy job.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:14 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

no substitute for seeing it in person thats correct but i can see the gold popping out on my monitor unless i missed the point LOL

sr66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 06-19-2005, 04:47 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

I see the gold too, must be Brians eye's...LOL At his age these things start to fail along with many other things

Matthew
Old 06-19-2005, 08:28 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

i have a brand new 19"LCD monitor that might make a diff.?

sr66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 06-19-2005, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

I've seen a red candy done with a silver base then the first coat of candy had some pearl mixed in then straight candy over that then cleared and it did look really nice. I have no idea what pearl was used but this was car was done back in the late 70's in laquer and it was really nice. The pearl within the candy did add more glow. Lots of different ways to do this stuff, test, test, and test till you get what you're after. If you're after the big flake look get ready to apply a lot of material- they are a challenge to bury.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:23 PM

Last photo:

listen to everyone so far. do your tests but what i can tell you is any time you put something on top of a candy you lose that depth. if you put the gold under the candy it will look basically red. i attached a pic of a harley tank i did in candy red. its a coarse grain silver base. all the airbrushing is in white and black. you can see that once the candy goes on everything just turns a different shade of red. you will lose the gold effect and your pearl will blend right into the background. the depth is still there though and it looks good. the pearl on top is going to kill it!!! you want pop then put a metalflake instead of a pearl on under the candy, imo this will look much better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redskulls6.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	5477   Click image for larger version

Name:	redskulls3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	5478  
Old 06-20-2005, 08:23 PM
Have Gun, Will Paint

This car has red and gold flaked under, in and over some red candy........also the paterns ar inbetween a coat of candy.........all over a dark red base. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/469748

(we were drunk, some mistakes were made.....an attemped of currecting those mistakes led to the cars finish)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.