Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Flame throwers again
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 07:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Flame throwers again

I have searched and read all the old posts on this subject. I think they are cool but wouldn't want one on my truck. A friend has a Harley and wants to put one on it. Hey, I know, don't judge, just let it go, I've tried.

We talked about all the kits and I've got him talked out of the ignition interrupt type. The big Harley engine probably has plenty of unburned fuel in the exhaust.

I understand the wiring and all that but it seems that you would only get one spark from the spark plug when you push the momentary on push-button. When you let off the button you get the spark. I would think there ought to be a way to hold the button and get multiple sparks as long as the button is held down. That way he could maximize the ignition of the unburned hydrocarbons, possible sustaining the flame longer.

Could I use a turn signal flasher and a relay with a capacitor or condenser to keep interrupting the ground to the coil. Kinda like a distributor would do. I'd have to find something that would cause it to spark say, once or twice per second. A common flasher might be to slow.

Any experience or ideas along this line??

Thanks guys.