FLAMES OUT THE TAILPIPE!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2002, 05:53 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post FLAMES OUT THE TAILPIPE!!!

I'VE SEEN AND HEARD THAT YOU CAN MAKE A CAR SHOOT FLAMES OUT OF THE TAILPIPE. IT LOOKS COOL AND I'D LIKE TO TRY MAKING MY ROD DO IT, I'VE HEARD THAT IT'S DONE SOMEHOW WITH A SPARK PLUG INSTALLED INTO THE TAILPIPE AND IT BURNS UNUSED GAS. WHAT I NEED IS ALL THE PARTICULARS OF HOW TO GO ABOUT HOOKING IT ALL UP.

YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOUR GOING TO WANT TO ROAST SOME WEENIES

BOMO

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2002, 12:46 PM

I have seen this done on a number of customs. The best one that I have seen used a breaker point distributer from a 4 cyl car, coil, and a blower motor from a car heater to spin the distributer. Mount the sparkplugs in each exhaust tip by cuting the tips off of oil fowl shields and weld them into holes drilled in the exhaust pipes. This works well on carb equiped cars but I have been told it will not work on a electronic fuelinjected car or one with a catalytic converter.

You can add additional reach to your flame thrower by fashoning a nozel out of steal brake line and welding or brazing it into the exhaust up stream of the plugs. Feed your injector with gas from a windshield washer pump. Just make sure your exhaust tips are well away from the body work, check wind direction, and also watch out for others. I personaly am scared of such a setup and do not recomend anyone do this. They look cool though.

I think I saw recently that a solid state setup is now available to replace all those mechanical parts
Old 01-01-2002, 02:55 PM

Go to www.hotrodsofnorco.com they sell kits for what you want
Old 01-02-2002, 05:16 PM

I have played around with one of the flame trowing kits sold through Hod Rods which Tom has provided the link. They work fine and are easy to install.
Basicly they give you a switch that you splice into the wire between your resistor and coil. When you through the switch it kills the fire to your engine and sends the current to an electronic box that splits it sending a rapid spark to each of your exhaust pipes. This would require you to rev the enjine high enough to keep it from stalling while you through the switch and pump the gas creating a flame at the tail pipe tips. Just before your engine stalls you quit pumping the gas and through the switch back on.
You will need to supply a coil for each pipe along with plug wires and plugs. The area space heater plugs work best for flame throwing as they have an extended electrode which will reach the center of your tail pipe for better ignition. They do not work well untill you warm your engine up to normall operating temperature.
They are a lot of fun and a real crowd pleaser at cruises.
But there is a downside to them because the raw fuel that is not ignited in the engine during flaming is going to result in some cylinder wash.
Also some locations frown on the use of flame throwers and have laws/ordinances against their use.
I definatly think the "injected" flamers are extremly dangerous and not for use except where they are in a CONTROLED enviroment.
The kit cost around $90.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

THANKS ALL YOU GUYS I KNEW YOU WOULD HAVE AN ANSWER

BOMO

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.