Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Flat Battery....1 year old???
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Registered Cruiser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Flat Battery....1 year old???

Here's the current (pun intended) situation. Somehow, gremlins I suppose, leave my ign switch in the "on" position on rare occasions. This will flatten the battery in no time. I have done this around 5-6 times in the last year or so.

Usually the battery has come right up and been fine. However this time she's a no go. I unhooked the neg cable after driving it to see if I had a parasitic drain. It fired up the next morning. I reconnected the cable and the following morning it was dead.

After reading a post by the brilliant DOCVETTE, I think I may have flattened this battery according to his wisdom. See link...............

68 cutlass

Also stated in this post is a comment by him that gives a range for proper alternator output. 13.96-14.4. When I checked mine it was putting out 13.34.

Is this acceptable or is the alternator actually going belly up? The bonehead who installed this alternator stripped the lug at the back and this may have been contributing to the problem although it was snug enough, I think, to be charging consistently.

I think the battery is toast and I'll do a load test on it tomorrow. I guess my question is..........is the alternator going??? I tested the current loss between the battery cable and the battery and had just less than 1 amp. .8-.9.

According to the DOC this should be ok but I wonder..............There is NOTHING on and this seems like a bit of a drop. I may pull all the fuses and replace them one at a time as he recommended and see what that yields.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom on this.............JD