Hot Rod Forum banner

Flat black

10K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Studebaker 
#1 ·
Hey guys im new here. Now im sure this question has been asked before. I have a 1951 chrysler windsor 4 door thats not in the best shape paint wise. I want to go with a flat color when i re paint it. eather black or red. other then House of colors hot rod black thats like a bundle is there any other paint out there thats on a budget but will last half way decent ? i will Post some pics of my boat soon and more about it.

#4 ·
If you want long-lasting...

Maybe this can be used with a cheap urethane, to save some $....

use any single stage black with PPG DX-685 flattener added to the "full-flat" mix on the can. (The semi gloss mix does not go on evenly enough for me.) I have jobs that have been on almost 10 years, and still look good.

Don't use black primers, as they turn gray and "streaky" in 3-5 years.

#5 · (Edited)
I plan to use kirker hot rod black 2k urethane. It is more satin than flat black. I've yet to use it, but I have used their black epoxy primer and for a first time painter, it seemed easy to spray....by the end of the session..lol. The reason I'm using Kirker is price and it's a "real" paint. The hot rod black IMO is a cheap look anyway, so I figure why spend a lot to look cheap. I love the rugged look for what I envision my Panel truck to look like, so cheap looking is actually a bonus for me :thumbup: Please post pics

#7 ·
ok, that's based on some of the points made by members here about the blitz black enamel paint not being wise to paint over with other kinds of paint. That's the main reason I decided not to go blitz black myself. I had read many dozens of posts on many different sites and had decided to use the Blitz myself....but I only wanted to go down to bare metal once and knew I'd probably want a different color in a few years and learned urethane was a better way to go. I certainly meant NO disrespect about the blitz...I still like the look, actually had bought an aerosol can to try it out myself. I re-read my post and saw it could look negative....Used the "real" in acknowledgement that some don't think much of the Blitz....I've seen in person cars that were painted with it and it looks good for that type of vibe...apologies for any offense :welcome:

#8 ·
Hey DON'T apologize to me. I don't care what people use. I was making the comment on KIRKER being real paint. It was a joke. I personally don't like the flat black look, been done WAY to much. Urethanes are the ONLY way to go, in my opinion. You could also look into Hot Rod Flatz. They have tons of cool colors. But like was mentioned earlier. Just buy a cheap urethane and add flattener to it. Then you can have ANY color you want.

#10 ·
Blitz Black is a great way to go if you want it cheap, but make sure you use the hardener or it is scratch prone, with the hardner it is very durable

this is my Vette sprayed with Valspar low gloss black (same as Blitz Black just different name Valspar produces the blitz black for JD, same paint different lable)

#17 ·
casehd said:
I can`t comment on the price, as I haven`t really done alot of paint or body. The quart "kit" with the reducer and catalyst is $89 at my local parts store.

Is that pricey? What is the average cost of the John Deere paint, anyone know?
$29.95 for a gallon of Blitz, quarts are $11.95 only took one quart to paint the vette hardner is $14 naptha for thinner/reducer is usually $7 a quart

#19 ·
matt167 said:
where I live, JDBB is $50+ per gallon from the dealership.. it's expensive enough, that it's more cost efficent to buy 'real' paint.

Restoration shop/ Kustom Shop Hotrod Flatz, is urethane single stage and a gallon kit and can be had for $149 for everything

Ouch talk about double charging you, do you have a TSC store (Tractor Suppy ) they sell the Low Gloss Black made by Valspar for $29.99 a gallon same paint different label as they are the producers of Blitz Black)

#22 ·
Underground said:
Hey DON'T apologize to me. I don't care what people use. I was making the comment on KIRKER being real paint. It was a joke. I personally don't like the flat black look, been done WAY to much. Urethanes are the ONLY way to go, in my opinion. You could also look into Hot Rod Flatz. They have tons of cool colors. But like was mentioned earlier. Just buy a cheap urethane and add flattener to it. Then you can have ANY color you want.
:thumbup: Only a urathane ,anything else is a waste of time and money. if you want cheap use laquer primer but it wont last ...it will hide a lot though....for about 50.00
nason black urathane runs about 150.000 it'll hold up for 5-10 yrs

#24 ·
Blitz black.

Granted, I am not a body man or painter, however I have sprayed two vehicles with John Deere Blitz Black. Did it outside with a primer gun. Both turned out very nice. It was almost impossible to screw up! Paint is very durable and did not fade even in 100 degree heat and direct sun. Not show quality, but it works and it is easy to apply. I really don't know jack about painting but I can read. Real simple for low budget. P.S., I always use some type of resperator or filter, even when spray painting. Safety first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.