flat black - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 02:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

flat black

whats a good flat black to use i bought junk at a local auto paint store a gallon for 45.00 it looks like tar coming out of the can, have to cut 1-1 ratio then says put on 3 coats and wet sand with 220 grit i never had to flatten a primer coat with 220 what else is out there

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 04:15 AM

get normal waterbase black base coat, apply three coats then clear coat it, but add matting agent to the clear coat. simple
Old 05-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,137 Times in 1,007 Posts
Or get a "Matte clear" that is already flattened and use it. I am with the previous poster that is the best way to get a low or no gloss paint these days.

Brian
Old 05-16-2011, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

You can also ad flattener to single stage. I've done a couple '32 Fords that way, and one still looks good after over 10 years.

Just don't use primer. I have seen black epoxy primed turn gray with white streaks after three years.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

I have a 64 Cadillac (see my profiler) shot with everything imagineable DP90, Poly Primer, Euro Primer, House paint, fence anti-rust paint etc.. etc.. about 10 years ago and little monye trying to get that satin finish. all of the above mentioned faded or chalked 6 months to a year later.
The last time about 5 years ago it was shot with PCL flat black and PCL Flat clear. Love the satin finish but the person shooting got help from PCL. He mentioned he had a hard time getting the tiger stripes from shooting the clear. As far as durability Ive left it in the sun for a couple of years and since always bee stored outside with a cover. No change to the paints finish.

Had a buddy with a 61 Cadillac. The same painter with PCL flat black no flat clear and the car is beautifully perfect satin black...he has had it for 5 years this way Hes kept it outdoors but with a cover. Drives it alot goes to out of town car shows and no changes to the paint finish. I cant remember if the guy that painted it says he had someone from PCL actually shot it or just helped him..
I guess my car was used as a ginuea pig. hahaha.
Case in point if going flat black do not use anything but flat black paint or flattened clear to get the rich solid flat black finish

Last edited by 67Elcamino; 05-16-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.