Hot Rod Forum banner

Flat black

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  TwistedTrbl 
#1 ·
Ok, I've searched and read all the exhausting posts on the JD Blitz Black. I want this type of finish on my motorcycle (Love the look). The question is, can I use the spray can rather than the spray gun and still get decent results. I know there will be a dozen people that say no way! The bike is black already and I don't care for all the glamour finishes on a bike. I was thinking this type of paint with some candy apple or grey metallic pinstripping to set it off.

I know there is no way to compare the two types of applications, but the only dumb question is one not asked!

Thanks.

#4 · (Edited)
Lesson learned

First off I apologize for bringing this old thread back up. BadBob can say I told you so.......... I tried the Blitz Black and it looked really horrible! (front fender only was done, thank God)

Ok the question is, I hear that you can't get the same shine with a single stage paint that you can with bc/cc and that the latter is much more forgiving. So which one do you guys recommend for a beginner? And how much paint? The bike is a Honda VT1100.

Cheap lesson in humility, no problem though. Lesson learned! :spank: :D

#5 ·
I personally think either would be fine for a beginner to use if a solid color. A product with a hardener will be more durable, chemical resistant. Add a flattener to the single stage paint color you are thinking of using, experiment with the amount of flattener spraying some junk pieces till it is drying to the satin finish you want. Or if base clear use a satin clear over the top of the base. Most activated products have isocyanates in them, so know what you are dealing with, don't spray without ventilation and respiratory, skin and eye protection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.