Hot Rod Forum banner

"Flat black paint color",

12K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Old Dude Rules 
#1 ·
I know Everyone has Their Own opinions on the subject,but I "kind of" think it would be a cool looking color for a "bad looking" '32 Coupe.
I'll most likely go with gloss black,but it's just a thought.
Anybody with some pictures might help.
Thanks

#5 ·
1bad32 said:
I know Everyone has Their Own opinions on the subject,but I "kind of" think it would be a cool looking color for a "bad looking" '32 Coupe.
I'll most likely go with gloss black,but it's just a thought.
Anybody with some pictures might help.
Thanks
Shooting flat topcoat has been done since day one. Colors as well as primer colors, and just primer, too- although this won't last unless it's something like an epoxy primer as mentioned above. Not a place for lacquer primer, in other words.

BTW, painting in flat was known as "suede".

#8 ·
Black Suede

The '31 has been on for about 4 years, and the '36 Chev. has been on 2 yrs. Very easy clean up, that is what I like about it, I get tired of waxing & clean up for Car Shows. Besides that, my Model A was picked at Cruise In, as owners choice, against some pretty nice cars. I was shocked, as I don't care about awards, been there, done that.

#12 ·
'41 Buick

41 kustom said:
Heres my just completed 41 Buick Kustom. Can't think of any color that would be better.
Sure like the way it sits. I have a friend that likes customs, but is about 15 years younger than I am, and the only way he thinks they should look is with wide whites, and no hub caps. If he gets a car with fender skirts, he says he throws them away. This is they were done in Old School, your car is awesome. :drool:

#13 ·
This is the best looking deuce in black mat finish I've ever seen.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Remember, if you didn't put it together with your own hands, its not really yours." - Tim Allen

#16 ·
1bad32 said:
Very nice,,does the color hold up well??
I can answer this question for you from my own experience.

The black primer will start breaking down and looking gray and streaky within 3-5 years, depending on how much sun it is exposed to.

Single stage black urethane with flattener will last 10-15 years, and still look pretty good. The only issue is repairablility. You can't just spot it in like you could a gloss job.

#17 ·
I never did give an opinion on your original question.

If budget is a consideration... I would go flat black. It doesn't need nearly the degree of prep and finish work that the gloss black does.

If the most important thing is how mean it looks.... Gloss black!!! Gloss black looks darker, and therefore much more sinister!

Flat black is lighter, since the surface difuses light... which tends to make it look more grayish.

One more reason.... If you go flat black, your car will look like the "nationwide fleet" of street rods. Gloss black will help to sererate your car from the herd.

#18 ·
TucsonJay said:
I never did give an opinion on your original question.

If budget is a consideration... I would go flat black. It doesn't need nearly the degree of prep and finish work that the gloss black does.

If the most important thing is how mean it looks.... Gloss black!!! Gloss black looks darker, and therefore much more sinister!

Flat black is lighter, since the surface difuses light... which tends to make it look more grayish.

One more reason.... If you go flat black, your car will look like the "nationwide fleet" of street rods. Gloss black will help to sererate your car from the herd.

Done then,,,I'll go gloss black because I definetly want a "sinister" look!!!! :evil:

#22 ·
Color

I have a 93 Mustang notch back with a 429 BBF. Car was a bone yard rescue. Ding here & there too lazy to do body work so I sanded and shot it with Rustoleum satin black. Sprayed lights with Duplicolor Nite Shades. It has 3" dumps with Flowmasters. Sounds nasty, looks nasty, a real low flyer! Paint is wash & wear turns heads all over town & at the track. Have a local guy that does old skool Von Dutch style pin work, red and white to set it off. Old & New Kool.

#23 · (Edited)
1bad32 said:
SWEEEET!!
Do You have a picture of Your Rod?
I'd love to see it.
I don't have my own toys any more. Many years ago I became a 'hot rod groupie". :)~ I have been custom painting most of my life, and realized that when you work seven days a week for other motorheads... there really isn't time anymore to build your own.

It's not all bad. In the last couple years, I've done a '40 Ford coupe... a '38 Dodge panel... a chopper... some repairs on a '37 Ford flatback that I painted... a purple '70 Charger... a VW "flower-power" van... worked with a local machine shop on their prototype bike, (there are five more coming behind it)... and right now I am doing a red-white & blue Superstock-style '68 AMX. It's better than trying to make time for a hobby while working a "real job". Yes.. I know it's a dream job! ...except for the sanding. :)

#25 ·
Blocking and Sanding

TucsonJay said:
I don't have my own toys any more. Many years ago I became a 'hot rod groupie". :)~ I have been custom painting most of my life, and realized that when you work seven days a week for other motorheads... there really isn't time anymore to build your own.

It's not all bad. In the last couple years, I've done a '40 Ford coupe... a '38 Dodge panel... a chopper... some repairs on a '37 Ford flatback that I painted... a purple '70 Charger... a VW "flower-power" van... worked with a local machine shop on their prototype bike, (there are five more coming behind it)... and right now I am doing a red-white & blue Superstock-style '68 AMX. It's better than trying to make time for a hobby while working a "real job". Yes.. I know it's a dream job! ...except for the sanding. :)
If you did a '38 Dodge Panel, that is a lot of blocking & sanding, worth almost two cars, to do it right. When I see someone using a D A, usually it is because they want to do a fast job. I never did use a D A, because you don't have the good feel, that is needed for a Show Car. I raised my son that way, and today he is worst than i am. He has painted a few Street Rods & Harley's. He uses House of Colors paint. I'm to old for that any more, but can't stand to see some of the work that comes out of some body shops. You can't paint over a terd, and make it look decent. Happy Cruisin. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.