Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   flat black questions (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/flat-black-questions-231799.html)

cutthroatkid 04-13-2013 12:00 PM

flat black questions

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a few questions about flat black paint.I know there's a few diffrent options so I figured Id ask&see if I could get a few diffrent opinions.I've been using this lacquer flat black a lot lately but there's two things that I don't like first it scratches very easily next if anything touches it that has some sort of dirt I it ,it shows.Makes me think of a cardboard that's pretty much how the panel looks&feels after its cured.
I know some guys use a base or singles stage with a flattening agent I'm guessing that has to be more durable but how will it lay?I like how this flat lays as it seems to be a zero chance for orange peel,it lays like base or primer so I'm hopping something else will lay like this also.

tech69 04-13-2013 12:19 PM

if you're using lacquer and are ok with it other than the scratch then I'd consider hot rod black before a 2 stage and flattener. Obviously not gonna be as durable as a two stage but it's cheaper and a lot more durable than lacquer.

Old Fool 04-13-2013 12:27 PM

I suggest you try the SPI HotRod flat black single stage .
You can vary the sheen from satin to flat by changing the amount of reducer you use. Sprays out without tiger stripes, even I can shoot it without messing it up, LOL.

SPI Hot Rod Flat Black info

tech69 04-13-2013 12:36 PM

that's a VERY good point about the tiger stripping. Never sprayed the SPI version but have had that issue with overlapping around door/quarter edges with the hot rod black. Great input.

cutthroatkid 04-13-2013 12:43 PM

69 I've looked@summits hotrod satin black I guess what I need to know is does it lay flat like the lacquer?I mean that stuff lays smooth kinda fool proof ya know?

cutthroatkid 04-13-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Fool (Post 1666027)
I suggest you try the SPI HotRod flat black single stage .
You can vary the sheen from satin to flat by changing the amount of reducer you use. Sprays out without tiger stripes, even I can shoot it without messing it up, LOL.

SPI Hot Rod Flat Black info

thanks Ill look It up

cutthroatkid 04-13-2013 12:50 PM

this flat that I'm using I've never had tiger stripping with its been well to me&people seem to like it its just like I said it lays just like base&has the same feeling as base.I'm debating on dealing with it or not I'm gonna have to order a few quarts of some other brands don't wanna miss out on something I might like better

tech69 04-13-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthroatkid (Post 1666032)
69 I've looked@summits hotrod satin black I guess what I need to know is does it lay flat like the lacquer?I mean that stuff lays smooth kinda fool proof ya know?

nothing will lay as good as that stuff but that's cause nothing's there. :D I tell you though, it will lay good with a decent gun and tip.

MARTINSR 04-13-2013 01:30 PM

Bc/cc with a satin clear is the ONLY way I would do an exterior flat color.

Brian

cutthroatkid 04-13-2013 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
what do you mean nothing there?What's a matter with this way?

MARTINSR 04-13-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthroatkid (Post 1666050)

I wasn't knocking your work. I am only saying that flat SS colors are very delicate and damage easy. A flattened clear over a basecoat gives you the same basic look but with a lot more durability. Not as much as regular high gloss clear coat, anything flattened will be more temperamental but the flattened clear is a lot more durable than flattened SS.

Brian

cutthroatkid 04-13-2013 02:34 PM

I got ya I thought the picture wasn't showing up.I was hoping the single stage would lay like what I'm spraying now.

da34guy 04-14-2013 05:01 AM

Shot the SPI Flat black @ the 4 to 1 mix ratio.

Lays down like silk and is bullet proof.
Best on the market IMO
Won't ever use a flattened clear again.

dumbasastump 04-14-2013 07:48 AM

the last time i used lacquer i was painting my dinosaur while listening to an 8 track tape

TucsonJay 04-14-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthroatkid (Post 1666050)

I have painted hundreds of bikes. My first worry would be that gasoline will attack the lacquer much easier than a urethane with hardener.

I've used both, and the urethane is much more permanent. I like to do things one time, and never have to worry about it again.