Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Garage - Tools (
-   -   Flat head Valve spring remover Tool??? (

pk44 08-20-2009 11:24 AM

Flat head Valve spring remover Tool???

Did a search and came up over whelmed. Have a 52 Chrysler Flathead. Took the valve springs out any which way I could with the wrong, $3 tool and what ever else I could put my hands on. Knuckles pretty bloodied up.

Anyway, I don't want to put them back in that way. Is there a reasonably priced tool still made for this application. I've seen some that claim to do the trick but I can't quite wrap my head around how they could work.

Or , has any one made one that a mediocre welder could put together?

Regards, Pk 08-20-2009 04:20 PM

I use a "C" type valve spring compressor made for small engines. Briggs, Kohler, Tecumseh, etc. With the correct spring end in it. It works very well.

pk44 08-20-2009 05:49 PM

Hmm, on a flathead? Where would you clamp the other end of the "c" (if your talking about what I'm think you are)

Thanks, PK 08-20-2009 06:19 PM

These are the tools that look like a big "C" clamp. the flat round end goes against the top of the valve and the split end goes over the valve spring in the block. Then the screw portion is tightened by hand or over-center lever. This pulls the retainer towards the valve head. Then you can get to the keeper (valve lock). When installing, grease the valve lock so it will stick to the valve.

pk44 08-20-2009 09:08 PM

Oh I get it...mind flinch. I've seen those on ebay but nowhere else. Anyway, I had my motor slanted upside down when I took them some kind of vertigo I guess.

Thanks, PK

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.