Flathead or 351 for my 30 sedan - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBnuts
THx ....Deuce...I know your a chevy man, and was hoping to stay with a ford engine, but problems with water pumps and oil filters.??? NOT

Robert BUllard Toronto

I did not suggest a Chevrolet ..
Find a late 80's early 90's 5.0 Ford and use it. The Model A should be lighter than a Mustang so you know the Model A would just about FLY ...

I would find a wrecked 5.0 Mustang with a automatic transmission and use everything I could ... IF ... I was going with a Ford V8 engine in a early Ford ...

The oil filter relocation is not a issue ... is it easy ... and I believe Ford even has a different setup that will clear a Model A frame ... KULTZ would know for sure ...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2006, 12:08 PM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Flathead or 351 for my 30 sedan

Nothing beats the look of a flathead, but like everyone says it aint going to be cheap. But would like to see you stick with a ford engine. Now i love my chevys, but in your case keep it all ford.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:25 PM

Last photo:

Just helped do a 29 sedan with a 302 Ford. Oil filter is an issue. Went to remote.. LENGTH of motor and exhaust is the biggest issue. Even with the short w/pump, the engine is still way back under the cowl. Also required front floor mods and the steering was a real problem. Forward relocation and u-joints were solution.

I have four nailheads on the shop floor at this time. All 401's going into various cars. Did more nailheads this year than in the last twenty.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

After you have almost given up on the flathead here is something you might try. Out here in Saskatchewan guys are buying complete 3/4 ton and bigger RUNNING flathead trucks (some with hoists) for $500 - $2,000. A local guy bought a running 52 Ford 3/4 ton with a hoist last year for $500. He uses it to haul junk for people to the landfill. Some of the locals call it the "Big Store" as we go there to pick up stuff to recycle. If you can check out the farm auctions in your area I am sure you will be able to pick up a ratty looking truck with a good drivetrain. Part it out to recover a lot of your investment and you have a flathead for your A. Rebuild the engine and add the go fast and pretty parts later as you can afford it. By the way if you can find that Street Rodder article it is very informative.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:59 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

What about going with an old Edsel engine? Yea you have fitment issues but who is driving around with an old 475E under the hood? Its Ford, but its definitely different.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:19 PM

My 2 cents go with the flattie. Check out Hemmings. Heck, a buddy of mine has a 1932 with the original 60 hp flattie that was his grandads car, still runs like a top.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:42 PM

I would go with the Flathead, the 351 will be tough to fit because of the length you will probably have firewall and radiator clearance issues.
I tried to put a 289 in a 1936 Plymouth back in the early 70's the engine length as I recall was around 32" and with their offset heads makes it rough. The head was against the firewall and the water pump was into where the radiator went. I swapped it for a SBC (28 inches long) and dropped it right in without any problems.

Good luck with your decision
Rod
Old 10-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

Flatties are not as common as they used to be, but they are still available. Look for a post war engine such as the 8BA or newer. They use bearing inserts, not poured babbit. They were rated at 100HP and are reliable. Around here a good core can be had for $300-$500, If you are in the $500 range, it might still be useable as is until you have the $$ to overhaul. You think the flattie V8 looks cool, try a Lincoln V12 flattie. There is a picture of one all dressed up on the LZOC.com website (Lincoln Zephyr Owner's Club) in the links section.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.