Flathead Ford - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 12:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
In the 50's The kids i knew with flathead Fords said they could use a copper penny to plug the heat riser passage. I don't know if they put it in the manifold or block, but it added a lot more rap to the exhaust sound. I split my exhaust manifold on my chevy 6 and it really changed the sound.

All you needed to do is loosen the intake, raise it a wee bit and slip a piece of beer can in there. Loud plus crappy gas mileage

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 12:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

if you want your FHF to have louder exhaust pound copper pennies into the intake manifold hear riser crossover in the block
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 12:34 PM

Split Manifold

I do know of the Split manifolds on the Chev, 6s and it does make a fine distinct sound. The copper penny thing I not to sure of, but as long as I have this Flatty apart I wanted to reach up inside the port to enlarge and polish it, but not to sure of how the clean smooth work would be without mirrors and tooling and help of my Dentist's fine eye for detail. All this would help the exhaust escape faster and help perforance and sound, I believe.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:46 PM

Flathead Exhaust

I fool around with Flatheads. Here's what I can tell you and what works. Depends on how much work you want to do--
Exhaust port dividers in the center ports do work, and do not obstruct/restrict flow if properly installed. The word is Properly.
The end ports are OK with a bunch of cleanup as far as you can reach with your grinder. Smooth is better. To take the end ports to the last step, the port exits are relocated to a much straighter line by grinding and rewelding, then machining new port exits. By doing this you can get in there much farther with a porting tool. You can also add some metal epoxy (something like "Furnace Cement") to then contour the port passages to make the exhaust exit much smoother. Difficult to make it stay in there for a street engine because it's difficult to anchor it. Some have installed pins to get the stuff to adhere to the port walls.
As has been noted by others here, a flathead will never compete with any reasonable overhead engine of the same size. The most powerful naturally aspirated flathead that I am aware of was built by Ken Kloth of Bonneville fame. His XS/PRO record of more than 140 mph has stood for more than 21 years. That engine produced about 280 hp on 267 cubic inches. Pretty good, eh?
Jim
Old 12-15-2011, 04:18 PM

Ford Ports

Thanks for all your support on the Ports of my Flatty. It's so Cool to know what could be done with such early engine designs, I'm sure by next season here in the cold climate when we can get out my ride, it'll be more fun.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:45 PM

flathead fords

There is no substitute for Cubic Inches. There were some pretty big flathead truck engines. How big, I do not know, but it might be worth looking into. At a show a few weeks ago, I spotted a 39 Chevy with a pretty large looking engine under the hood. The owner told me it was a 1955 GMC truck engine that was originally 350 cu in. Ford made long haul trucks and military equipment. Think old tanks, etc.

About those pictures of engines with the exhausts on top. Ever look at a Caddy flathead? These were larger capacity, and had the short intakes and short exhaust coming up out of the top of the block. Sure be a natural for a Turbo. A friend has a restored 40 Cad that has high compression aluminum heads on it. Runs sweet, once he figured out that his old radiator was under capacity. The Lincoln V 12 did not have a lot more CI, considering its number of cyl. They also had some reliability problems. Of course anything can be fixed, if you got enough time, experience and cubic bushels of money. I think there were other flat head V8s from other luxury builders too. Get out the old books.

You want to run high powered flatheads, think outside the box. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:08 AM

Big Cube FFH

I had a 337 C.I. Lincoln Flatty in my 50 Lincoln, same engine as a F6 Ford Truck. It moved that Heavy car down the road good, I had Cherry Bomb mufflers on it, it was way to quiet, of coarse with the GM Hydro they put in at factory you couldn't back off, for extra toons from the pipes. It was nice to just let the engine pull the hills no problem.
One thing I did for that engine I did put a PCV on it and there was no signs of rng by-pass smoke from oil pan. What I had done was to find a soft plug the size of Road Draft tube and put a PCV in it with a rubber gromit.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.