Flathead ford won't start on an incline - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2013, 08:11 PM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Flathead ford won't start on an incline

Hey everyone, I've got my first flathead ford and I've got a rather basic question for one of you seasoned Ford guys. I have a mostly stock 39 ford deluxe coupe with a 1951 8ba mostly stock flathead. The car has a 12volt conversion and a strong battery. I found out today that when the car is parked on an incline in a friends driveway nose facing uphill it cranks easily but won't start. I had just put about 7 gallons of gas in the tank right before arriving. We managed to push it into his garage and once it was level it started up on the second try.

Is this typical? Would an inline electric fuel pump resolve this issue? Anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 08:50 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Haven't had a flatty in a while but I wouldn't jump on the in-line until I found out the problem and trid to correct it .
It does sound like a fuel problem. Try unhooking the line to the carb to see if it is pumping when on a hill and won't fire.
If the float has fuel in it, it should start and then run of of fuel if the pump is not working when on the hill, so could be another problem. Like maybe a loos ignition wire.
Try a little fuel down the carb to see if it fire when on the hill.
Problem I had with my flatty,(53 Merc 3/4 race with 3/2's was it would flood out easy. Not when cold but when hot and had only been off a few minutes or if it didn't catch right away. A real pain. My dad had flatties he parked in the driveway that was a uphill and never had a problem. Good luck , Bob.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

The fuel pump runs off a shaft that runs off a lobe on the cam. With enough wear, the rod can shorten up and lessen the stroke to the pump. We used to cut the tongue out of an old dress shoe, make a round leather washer from it and place it in the pump cup so that the rod was effectively a little longer. At least, that's the way I remember it from the 50's.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
killeratrod (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 09:21 PM

Last photo:

add more gas ,do not go to buddies house, park on the other side , rebuild carb, new fuel filter,etc.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I eventually gave up after several failed pumps on my big (usually 3-5/15 x 4 or 4-1/8) flatheads with multiple 94 or 97 carbs and used an electric fuel pump - Carters always worked best. Turn the key, let it tick 2-3 seconds and it always started. I'm not sure you can buy a decent new US made fuel pump for a flattie these days since they have been out of production for 60 years.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:19 PM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am going to start with the float in the carb, since it has the glass bowl type fuel pump I did notice that the bowl was still full even though it wouldn't start. Cape Cod Bob said something that made me think - initially the car did start and sputter out rather quickly, from there it would not start until it was leveled out. Considering the glass bowl was full that makes me think carb.. I will re-post after I dig into it further!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.