flathead V8 for a 1950 Lincoln Cosmo - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2002, 08:21 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Thumbs up

[quote]The Lincoln would really be cool with modern DOHC Lincoln/FoMoCo and overdrive.<hr></blockquote>

Hmm...I really like that scenario, but only if the car is not a saver.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2002, 05:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Nothing wrong with anything, but "put a 350 in it is a far too generic answer used far to often.
Old 10-05-2002, 08:47 PM

A Lincoln flathead engine is a Ford Truck Heavy Duty engine for all intents and purposes. The same block and internals were used in up to 7 ton trucks. There were a few aftermarket suppliers during the units viability time frame, but locating any speed parts now would be serendipitious at best.

Ther is nothing wrong with using a Ford or Chrysler big block as a replacement, even while building a period piece. 331 to 392 hemi Chrysler and DeSoto's were popular swaps at one time (50's) along with the ubiquitous 303/324 Olds and Hydramatic and the FE engine was considered a very modern installation during the 60's.

These old Lincolns are a great ride; very quiet and reasonable handlers. They were regular race winners during their time in the sun and a well thought out car should be a terrific modern day slider.

Old 01-13-2003, 03:11 PM

Wow,

There sure is a lot of stron feelings about the old flatties. The 337 L head had one SERIOUS problem that it shared with the 255 (8mc) Merc. The holley 2bbl "Tea-pot" carburator. These were horrible units & my dad's Ford shop used to get a lot of them burning engines down. These carbs had a throttle body like you would see on TBI engines of the 80s. The fuel bowl, metering jets, etc. were all mounted ABOVE the venturis in an arrangement that resembeled a water tower! These would get hot and the gas would boil down the carb throats. Presto! carb fire. You may have luck replacing the carb with a Rochester 2bbl for a 283/327 GM or 318 Mopar. You could also use a Holly 4100 series used on real big Volkswagons. Some of these will flow over 500cfm. The base will bolt to the big flatty manifold without modifications. Your bigest problem with this mod would be getting the right vacuum to the disto "Load-Matic ignition. The 337 flattie is a good freeway cruiser.

Bruck
Old 11-09-2007, 07:00 PM

All I can add is that I own one and a few tidbits....

I was lucky, I found a good driver and it looks damn cool and has no body filler whatsoever, a black four door 1950 Cosmo that turns heads where ever I go with it and it is a real driver now that I made it that way. If you like people to oogle your ride that car will do it. They think it is a gangsta car and so do I. Not much for speed parts except Red's Headers now make headers for that engine and I have a set with two Smithy glass pack mufflers so I am in teen age heaven when I drive it, lol!
Old 08-20-2008, 02:23 PM

lincoln flathead

I have two lincoln cosmos with 337 flatties, yes parts are hard to find but not impossible. they weigth too much to be a screamer but you can pick the roughest rr track in the world and you won't even know you crossed it. cams can be re-ground, they can be bored, a number of intakes are available through ken austins rod shop, headers (reds headers), and complete engine rebuild kits,suspension parts,and a whole lotta other stuff through kanter products. enjoy your 4400 lb crusier.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.