flathead V8 for a 1950 Lincoln Cosmo - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2002, 04:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question flathead V8 for a 1950 Lincoln Cosmo

Hello. I am hoping to get a bit of information on the pros &cons of flathead V8's. I am looking into buying a 1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan and need to know as much as i can before i jump in. Anything would be helpful. thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2002, 11:15 AM

Depends.#1 question is how much power do you want?
You can make decent power but you are going to
have to spend serious cash.To get (maybe) 300
"real" hp you are going to need good machine
work,maybe a set of duntov style ohv heads,and a
blower.The flathead ford is cool but a dying breed.These guys have been around since the 1930's
and stock made about 100 hp or so.If your looking
for just a nice cruiser find a good shop,get any
needed work done and put her on the street.
But if you want it to go fast you might need to
swap to another engine.May I suggest a beasty old
Ford FE(352,360,390,406,410,428,427)
Old 05-03-2002, 08:45 PM

Wink

Hello Helenwheels; I'll bet you're looking at the one Classic Connections has, right? (since you're both in Iowa...). Anyway, it looks like a beauty. Here's a website with some more info. on these Lincolns: <a href="http://www.geocities.com/fivelincolns/50hist.html" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/fivelincolns/50hist.html</a>
The flathead engine is very reliable and fairly powerful at the size this one would be. They're easy to work on, and nowadays there are even lots of places (on the web too) that support them with parts and information. They were made to run on regular gas (not unleaded) so you might need to use an additive or check out what others are using in their "oldtimers". Hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:11 PM

Cool

there are no pros to a flathead. put in a small block and make it run like a top.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:38 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Question

Hello fellow hot rodders! Since you were already on the topic of the 50 Lincoln, I would like to add a question rather than starting a new topic. (I hope that's ok - I am new to this message board...) I am in the process of getting a 1950 Lincoln. I was wondering if anyone knew of any websites that specialize in replacement items for the 50 Lincoln? (Especially interior parts such as upholstery and door panels and things like that.)
I would appreciate any info anyone could share with me.

Thank you!
Old 10-03-2002, 07:54 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

The Lincoln flathead is a different beast than the Ford/Merc and I believe is about 337". The body shares some panels in common with the Merc of the same years and is referred to as the baby Lincoln, so depending on what parts are needed you might be able to find them at a Merc supplier.
The motor is built,not only larger but, stronger than it's smaller brethren although speed parts are probably more scarce.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I love flathead fords, lincolns ect.
One of the bright points of a flattie is just the way they look, and they are soooo smmoooooth.
A 200 horse flatty on the street is pushing it, but that's been a while back, I would have to think 300 horsepower is a little unrealistic.
Flatheads are known for overheating, and of course parts will be harder to come by and more expensive. But, hey, they are cool.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:25 AM

Last photo:

Talking

My buddy has a 50 Lincoln here in my home town! i said go for tuning the flat head there's plenty of speed parts available, but when we looked into it....sheeet its rare as hell to find speed parts for that sucker! & its huge...physically bigger than the run of the mill flatty. So he's gone for the complete runninmg gear from a late Caddy & its now chopped nosed & decked too, i'll post pics when its done early next year.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:53 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

[quote]Originally posted by senor_limpio:

<strong>I am in the process of getting a 1950 Lincoln. I was wondering if anyone knew of any websites that specialize in replacement items for the 50 Lincoln? (Especially interior parts such as upholstery and door panels and things like that.)

I would appreciate any info anyone could share with me.

Thank you! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Your best bet for looking for suppliers lies in aquiring a copy of or subscribing to -Hemmings Motor Magazine-. Most of your sources will be there.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:04 AM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

The Automotive gods will strike you down for putting anything into that Lincoln other than the original flattie. They aren't speed demons but when "period rodded" are real head turners and great cruisers. If you want a street pounder find something more common and go hog wild. (JMHO)
Old 10-04-2002, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

[quote]there are no pros to a flathead. put in a small block and make it run like a top. <hr></blockquote>

Thats a great idea, take a unique car with a potentially cool motor and make it just like everyone elses!! Helenwheels, the licoln flattys are bigger than a ford/merc as was already mentioned by Woodz428. If you are content with a stock motor, got with the lincoln, but if you want something to hop up, a ford or merc is economically better due to the plethora of speed equipment available for them. Please, I beg of you, do not assimilate and ruin your car with a small block chevy, they aren't bad motors, it is that people put them in anything. In response to the quote, the biggest pro of a flathead is that it is not a small block chevy...
Old 10-04-2002, 12:51 PM

Restore the original engine. If it must be replaced, keep it in the family. The FE sounds like a great idea. Or maybe the big Lincoln Y-block that was used in the 50s and 60s?

Nobody loves oldtime stuff more than I do, but if you are going to sink money into a flathead, restore the original.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:56 PM

I'm always amazed by people that go bobkers about the Ford/flathead/Chevy/ohv v8 craziness. If he wants to put a 1931 Plymouth flathead six in his Lincoln, it's his business.
If you're such a fanatic to save all the stockers in the world, make him an offer and save him, and his car, from himself.
'Til that time, enjoy your car and let him enjoy his. There is enough ignorance in the world that we in the car hobby shouldn't be bothered.
The Lincoln would really be cool with modern DOHC Lincoln/FoMoCo and overdrive. It might even be possible to do a frame graft from a Town Car or Grand Marquis or Crown Victoria and pick up modern steering, suspension and discs while you're at it.
Run that idea through the laptop and see what buzzes.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:01 PM

Im not saying hes gotta keep it stock, but im real pissed about the generic "put a chevy in it" answer, The FE, a 302, an injected 5.0, a 429/460 are all better alternatives, a favorite saying of teh HEMI peaple is "Anybody can crap on the floor, it takes real ingenuity to **** on the ceiling" EVERYBODY HAS A ROD WITH A #@$%^ SBC...
Old 10-04-2002, 09:01 PM

Hey man, chill out, who says a ford has to run a ford, and a chevy has to run a chevy? Look at the hot rods of the 50's. We ran Olds in Fords, Caddys in Chevys, even remember a Model T running a straight 8 Buick. I think a Caddy would make a great swap.
Jack

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.