Flex Fan cfm - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2004, 05:20 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Flex Fan cfm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has a link or info on the cfm differences between flex fans. I have a 67 camaro with a 454. I just changed my whole cooling setup because I want to run a air conditioning. I bought a large condensor that I had to mount very close to the radiator. The ac is not hooked up yet but the engine would go to 230 degrees in 35 minutes idling. Once I removed the condensor the temp went to 185 degrees. I have a new 31" aluminum radiator, edelbrock water pump, march overdrive pulleys, high flow 160 thermostat, 18" large cup flex fan and stock shroud. What I want to do is build a bigger fan shroud to accept a 20" flex fan instead of my 18" if there is much difference in the cfm. I am hoping this will let me put a smaller condensor further from the radiator. and still get good cooling. I know I've seen some info on fan cfm before but I cant find it now.
Thanks Kevin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004, 08:00 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Get rid of the flex fan and go with a steel fan.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

johnsongrass1, I just pulled the solid fan with a derale clutch off yesterday. I couldnt see any differerence in how long it took to heat up. Both took 35 minutes to get to 230 degrees before I pulled the condensor out.
Thanks Kevin
Old 08-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Could try running a couple of electrics. That would also free up some room and tension along the pulleys. I'd recommend dual depending on how big your rad is. Or try one as a pusher fan and the other as a puller.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:33 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Solid fan no clutch, how thick is the radiator?

RPM at idle?

What pulley ratio and arrangment?
Old 08-13-2004, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

I looked in my PAW catalog but didn't see a 20" listed, 18" was the biggest I saw. They have a really good break down on the specs for the electric fans but not much on the mechanical ones. As far as dia. vs CFM , diameter doesn't seem to be the deciding factor. The electrics a run around 2000-2200 rpms and the pitch of the blades controls Cfm but the more pitch/cfm the larger the Amp draw. The biggest Cfm single blade elecrtric is a Flex-A-Lite "black Majic" puller fan 2800cfm 13.9amp draw @ 13.5 volts. it comes with an adjustable thermostat and an A/C relay to turn the fan on when the A/C is on. PAW price $204.00. This should solve you hot at idle problem as mechanical fans don't pull as much at idle. They also list a Double that pulls from 3300-5000cfm 12-28 amp draw @13.5 volts but needs a 17"h x 32"w x 4.5"d mounting surface comes with the same hardware @ $400. The electrics will give you the air flow at idle/low rpms that you need with A/C and would be the best way to go as long as your electrical system can stand the amp draw and maintain a least 13-13.5 volts.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

I dont know what the pulley ratio is but its the march pulley setup for high water pump and fan speed. I am trying to stay away from the big electric fans because of the high amperage draw and low dependability. I have a flexalite M150 in my shop that was on its second motor. The first one gave up the first season I had it on my race car. Not very many hours on it. Jegs is where I see the 20" flex fan. I noticed when the some electic fans go from 14" to 16" they pick up between 200 to 450 cfm. I figure going from a 18" to a 20" might be more.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:56 PM

Last photo:

GM makes a large solid high pitch steel fan that can't be beat for pulling air. Part number 405442. You will lose a couple HP for moving so much air but then so does putting on A/C.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

How many rpms will the gm fan go and does it go on a clutch.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:06 PM

you just can't do better than good elec. fans.they as depenable as anything.i spent 20.00 on a dual 11" toyota fan and haven't looked back since.mounted on the inside of a 31x19 radiator i can light a lighter and hold it 3' in front of the radiator and it pulls on the flame.ands saves probably 8-10 h.p. to boot.come into the 21 centry.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:17 PM

Well if your using a flex fan get that thing as close to the Rad as possible(but not too close it may hit your Rad when it flexes) this requires a pretty thick spacer you can get out of Jegs fairly cheap.

But if you want my advice go with a clutch or electric fan, much safer and effective IMO
Old 08-13-2004, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

On the fan spacing flexalite recomends the fan be halfway in and out of the fan shroud. Guys, I think I have my cooling problem solved with the flex fan and moving the condensor. My question was wheather anyone has info on what different size flex fans cfm's are.
Thanks Kevin
Old 08-17-2004, 06:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Full Throttle
How many rpms will the gm fan go and does it go on a clutch.
Sorry, didn't see the question earlier. THis part number is the same used by many late model dirt track racers who turn between 8 and 9 depending on track and engine set up. It is a solid fan and cannot be mounted to a clutch.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.