Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - flex head torque wrench worth the $?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 08:19 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hippie, How do you intend to test the torque on the bolt? That is, from what is being said here the extension would affect torque applied to the bolt(it will not) but not the reading from the wrench itself. What I asked earlier about using two torque wrenches connected with an extension would be the only way to do this without using calibration equipment. The only meaningful way to do this would be to measure the wrench reading against a known torque value and there is no reliable way to do this using a fastener. It seems fairly simple but I can't get this guy to answer my question, If you connect two torque wrenches together with an extension will one read less than the other? Which one? Why? If you have two people simply holding the wrenches unsupported and trying to apply torque you would induce variables since it would be nearly impossible for both to apply force at exactly the same angles which theoretically would not matter but mechanically induced error would probably occur. If you attempt to support the extension, say inside a pipe locked in a vise, then there still would likely be a problem with friction between the pipe and extension which could cause erroneous readings. Torquing a bolt with or without an extension and then trying again with or without the extension proves nothing either since almost every time you torque a fastener to it's proper value and then let it "rest" a while it will move slightly most times if re-torqued. All these variables are what causes this misunderstanding in the first place and all too often one of these flawed "tests" are used to come to the wrong conclusion. Simple laws of physics apply here and are quite clear(obviously to the manufacturers also since no "correction" data is included). This guy cannot be convinced no matter what you do because he already knows the truth and is simply obsessed with proving he is right no matter what it has done to his creditability so far.