Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - flex head torque wrench worth the $?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
If someone only adds a couple of pounds to a 75 ft/lb setting for instance then not much will happen but when they attempt to add 10% or so it can result in disaster.
And yet how many of us bother to have our torque wrenches checked occasionally? You would be amazed at the variation that can occur over 6 months or a year depending on how much the wrench is used or abused or if it is improperly stored. I usually only see a Ft Lb or 2 on most wrenches but I have seen some lose or gain as much as 15% accuracy. Of course we have people that think they are breaker bars, pry bars and ball peen hammers. Nobody but NOBODY gets to borrow my torque wrench!

As far as the physics of it is concerned I'm not arguing with anybody, I'm just going to do a test. If there IS any torque lost through an extension I seriously doubt it would be measurable but since I have the equipment available and I'm doing the checks anyway what the heck?! You guys have been arguing this for how long now? Wouldn't it be nice to have a test done on some accurate test equipment? My gut instinct tells me "physics" will be vindicated. I've been doing this for nearly 20 years, I'm getting fairly good at it so sit back relax and wait for the results.